PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Swallow?

Don Railton
04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi all

This site has inspired and even intimidated me with the quality of images posted. So with some intrepidation, I humbly offer this image (my first ever post...) of what I think is a Pacific Swallow for comment or even a more positive ID. Image captured in a local marina with my trusty steam powered 10D and a 70-200 F4 and 1.4 TC.
<O:p
<O:p
Shutter - 1/640<O:p
aperture - F 5.6<O:p
Eval. metering +1/3
<O:pISO 400<O:p

DON

Dave Mills
04-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Don, Welcome aboard!Glad you are inspired but never be intimidated!We all have something to learn no matter how advanced one may be. Nice first post with a few suggestions. There should be a bit more space on the top and right. The bird is a bit close to the edges in those areas. The bird is sharp and would suggest lightening it. Otherwise nice angle and good subject...

Don Railton
04-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks Dave..

In the prolonged attempt to get it posted and comply with all the size rules I cropped the image more than I should have without noticing...Must remember, composition composition composition....

Simon Bennett
04-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Don, Your lovely image is of a Welcome Swallow Hirundo neoxena. These are the common swallow of Australia. Simon

Lance Peters
04-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Hi Don - big warm welcome - dont hesitate to jump right in and comment on other peoples images as well - no better way to learn.
Agree with Daves comments - nice first post :)
Agree that the head area probably needs lightening a little and some more space all around.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Don Railton
04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the ID Simon. Basically in my attempt to ID the bird I took a guess between the "Pacific" and the "Welcome"...as usual, I guessed wrong.

Thanks for your comments Lance...I do plan (and have already) to comment on others work.

regards

DON