PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow in a cloud

gary rouleau
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I had never seen a rainbow in a cloud as this one before. I just can't figure out how to bring out the true colours of it without losing the dynamic clouds around it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
gary

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi GAry,

I did some Shadow/Highlight on it, lifted the curve and ran some Noise Ninja on it.
Remember I am working with very few pixels as opposed to the full image.

Is this consistent with what you saw?

Roman Kurywczak
02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Gary,
I think Fabs is onto something as the upper part and lower section in her version has much more detail and interest. I like the colors in your original better. Maybe you can tone down the red and white areas in the middle of the frame with some dodging and then do what Fabs did to lighten and then saturate a little more? Very cool clouds though! I've never seen them. Hope this works out for you because this has huge potential,
Roman

gary rouleau
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Fabs and Roman. I'll take Fabs idea and re-work the photo.

gary

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Gary,

I played with it too similar to Fabiola but also created a Selective Color Adjustment, added 2% black to black and neutrals and pumped up yellow in the yellow and magenta in the red. I did not noise correction. Looks pretty similar.

Arthur Morris
03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Pretty wicked. I like RAM's version best. What lens was used??? What time of day (or night)???

Later and love, artie

gary rouleau
03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I've learned a lot about this photo, atmospherically the smooth clouds to the right are due to high velocity winds, those to the left are turbulence. The rainbow effect is from ice crystals formed by the fast winds -like a snow making machine. As it turns out this is quite rare considering it was taken with the sun in front of me about hour before sunset. I took at the Bosque del Apache. The camera was a markIIN with a 600mm f4 lens at 5.6f speed of 1/200.

Cheers
gary

Grady Weed
04-04-2008, 09:22 AM
The greens in Roberts image is a bit better than Fabs. Although both are similar. This image is a super print I bet. It would be worth the work in PS to make it pop as you would like. Please post the re-work when you get ir more like you want it. Excellent well seen image. Sometimes we stumble onto a great scene. You did that here.