PDA

View Full Version : Long-billed Dowitcher

Dave Leroy
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
At least I believe these are the Long-billed variety. 50D, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1250.
I had been photographing them for awhile, when they suddenly realized they had company and waded off.
I levelled and cropped from left and top. I also removed a bit of debris, but left these bits and pieces.

Troy Lim
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Dave, another great capture. I like the simplistic, minimalistic to this shot. Well done.

Arthur Morris
04-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I believe that these are breeding adult Long-billed Dowitchers based on the chevrons on the side and color through to the undertail coverts but I would not bet my life on that <smile>

Love the sufficient d-o-f; was this much of a crop? EXP perfect and image design right on. I would lose at least the stick. The only problem is a major one: both heads turned away...

Fabs Forns
04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Artie cover more or less all the bases. For me, a bit lees contrast would work better with the type of image.
I love the image design.

Alfred Forns
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Agree with comments !! Like the overall feel of the image, reflections strong enough to keep !! I like it a lot !!!

Martin Wallis
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Great DOF at 5.6! I guess you were quite far away? Love the painterly feel and would keep contrast as is. I would perhaps lose the stick.

Dave Leroy
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for looking.
It was a reasonably large crop. The fg bird's eye was the centre focus point so about 25% off the left.

Yes I was quite surprised at the dof as it turned out. There was no chance to change settings.

Yes, I know the darn ha's weren't quite there but I thought it was worth a post.

Tks again.

Dave Leroy
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Here is a repost with the stick removed. I also tried to reduce the contrast.
I am having some issues getting BB and CS3 to match. The posts match BB and I finish the photo with CS3. I know the colours are off a bit and perhaps contrast /brightness as well.

Stu Bowie
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Good repost Dave, and although the HA's arent perfect, I like the similar poses. Amazing stillness on the water.

Arthur Morris
04-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Everything looks good in the repost to my eye except the head angle :)

Best to post your mis-matching colors in the Digital Workflow Forum.

Dave Leroy
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Stuart and Artie. I had been trying to get close to some Greater Yellowlegs when i came across a group of the Dowitcher. They were feeding in a shallow tidal stream running out across a big tidal flat.

I knew about the ha's and thought of mentioning it in opening post.

Artie, I got excellent feedback from my query yesterday in the DWF and have solved my problem. I now need to respond there.

Tks again,

Dave

Arthur Morris
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Glad that I suggested that. Just being aware of head angle issues can help folks become aware of it int he field. It is almost always my #1 concern; I do not push the button unless the head angle(s) look(s) good. :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
This is a great image in all counts, but yes, the HA aren't the best, in any case I would love to have this one in my files...
Your composition really pleases my eyes. I am not familiar with this species so I don't know about the colors but they do look natural to me, I could be lost.

Dave Leroy
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the comment Juan.
I think the colours are pretty close to actual. It is my understanding that as they get closer to the breeding season the rusty colours should intensify.

One day I hope to make it to Costa Rica.