PDA

View Full Version : Lilacs

Anita Bower
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I purposefully overexposed this for a high key effect. I'd like to say I was inspired by Mike, but I took it before I saw his lovely Columbine images.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f36, 1.3 seconds, ISO 400 (I didn't denoise, does it need it?), manual focus and exposure (I don't know by how much I overexposed--I just experimented), tripod, natural light, indoors, foam board BG. Minor post processing in Elements 7 and PS7.

Julie Kenward
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Mmm, mmm, is that pretty! My one concern, Anita, is that the bottom of the purple flowers is so close to the white of the BG that it almost gets lost. You might think about adding just a tiny bit more color to the bottom blossoms so they hold their own. There are a couple of leaves that face the backside that also feel a little washed out. I'm not saying it's wrong or bad - just might see if adding a tiny bit of color makes it better or not.

My lilac is in full bloom right now and I go out every night and breathe it in. Does that say spring or WHAT? :D

Julie Brown
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Anita, I like the composition and the high key effect. If it were mine I might try to darken the 2-3 leaves that seem to be a bit washed out, unless you planned for that.:)

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Anita,
I have been doing a lot of these myself lately.....just messing around with the over-exposure to see what I get! I have become quite fond of the images when they are just at the edge or just start to bleed into the BG high key.....so I am OK with it as presented. I do agree you can go the darkening route too....just a matter of personal preference. Very nicely composed!

Anita Bower
04-20-2010, 04:10 AM
Thank you for suggestions. I have darkened lover flowers and some of the leaves, and toned down other leaves. Is this better? More work needed?

Julie Brown
04-20-2010, 04:38 AM
The repost looks good to me, Anita.:)

BTW, I might have said this on aminus3, but I watched your video interview and enjoyed seeing you at work!

Anita Bower
04-20-2010, 05:17 AM
The repost looks good to me, Anita.:)

BTW, I might have said this on aminus3, but I watched your video interview and enjoyed seeing you at work!

Thanks for both!!

Barbara Kile
04-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Beautiful pastels and well composed, Anita, and I love the repost. I think glare is what caught the apparently 'washed out' leaves. That can happen even indoors. If you see this in your viewfinder, hold up a diffusion disk (or a piece of ripstop nylon) and see if it goes away. I noticed it while photographing tulips. A rather flat surface can produce that, which washes out color a bit.

Ken Childs
04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
I watched your video interview and enjoyed seeing you at work!Those washed out leaves were the only thing I thought needed work so the repost looks great!

I just watched that video. I had to chuckle when I heard the name of the club you belong to because I live in a Chester County too. :)

Anita Bower
04-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Those washed out leaves were the only thing I thought needed work so the repost looks great!

I just watched that video. I had to chuckle when I heard the name of the club you belong to because I live in a Chester County too. :)
Thanks, Ken. Too bad you don't live in the Pennsylvania Chester County! But I'm sure yours is just as nice, and hopefully, less developed, though we live in a rural area.

Ken Childs
04-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Ken. Too bad you don't live in the Pennsylvania Chester County! But I'm sure yours is just as nice, and hopefully, less developed, though we live in a rural area.
Less populated for sure. The population of Chester County, TN is around 16,000. :)

Mike Moats
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Anita, I really like the comp with the subject, I may have try this subject myself when out lilacs are out. The repost evened out well on the light.