PDA

View Full Version : Badlands of South Dakota

Mark Fuge
04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
This image was taken many years ago, on a trip through the west. It was shot on slide film and scanned on my Nikon slide scanner. It is my second attempt at working with some of my old slide images, which comprises most of my portfolio. Now that I have 365 days a year to work on it, I might get this thing right yet. It’s not perfect, but it is a representation of one of my favorite western landscapes. The mountains in the back are maybe 50 – 80 feet high! It is just one of the joys of the wide angle lens that I use to use a lot for landscapes.

After scanning the slide, the modifications in CS4 included; Topaz Clean, Topaz Detail, Accented Edges, Diffused Glass and Hue & Saturation adjustment, with an old time overlay added.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Mark, This looks like an older painting. I might do a little clone clean up on the white spots in the clouds. I like the way the image seems to have some dimension.

Julie Kenward
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm with Denise but I noticed a "blotch" on the FG rock. Nice composition - Man, I miss the mountains!

Mark Fuge
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Denise and Cheryl for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

This is the original of the home scanning project, prior to adding the "aging" effect. FYI. The spots are on the overlay.

Christopher Miller
04-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice landscape and old look, Mark. The blues in the sky look a bit unnatural to me being that saturated, so I might tone them down a bit. That might also enhance the old feel.

Mark Fuge
04-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks Christopher for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

denise ippolito
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Nice repost. I agree w/ Christopher regarding the saturation.

Kerry Perkins
04-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi Mark, I agree that somewhere in between would be the sweet spot for this one. I like the aging techniques and feel that the original needed a bit of saturation. Repost is bit too saturated for my taste, but as you say... ;)

Mark Fuge
04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

The fault is more in the scan than the image. I have a good print of this, but I'm trying to scan the slides and so far with less than perfect results. To me the comp of the swirling FG and the hills are the interest. Maybe more practice on the scanning will help. :(