PDA

View Full Version : Maestro

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 04:36 AM
It looks like he is conducting an orchestra.:) This species of fly belongs to the blowfly family and they have a strange habit of waving their front legs in the air. Unfortunately there was no vegetation close enough in order to avoid a black bg.
5D Mark 11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f11; ss1/200; iso100
Crp, shrpn, nr, reduced exp, contrast and yellows, reduced and softened flash highlights.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-19-2010, 05:07 AM
AMAZING details and sharpness. Only wish the feelers in front of its head were sharp too (but I understand, its tough to get 'all' sharp at such magnification).
Excellent image.

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Thank you very much Kaushik. Those are actually the front legs that it is waving in the air. I would have loved to get it all in focus but you are right, the dof is almost non existent at these magnifications.:)

Ken Childs
04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
As always Vida, I'm amazed you're able to get any of these shots at all! The clarity you get on these bug shots is incredible. I'm assuming this is HH which makes it even more amazing.

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Vida,
That eye is something else! I agree that the angle isn't the best but as mentioned....not much DOF with the lens set-up anyway.

Julie Kenward
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree with the other comments but that eye! Wow! That is something else! Another excellent image, Vida.

Morten Romild
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I have had that lens and know how difficult it is to use. If you have a batterypack you could stack some shots, and also use omnibounce on the flash, it gives a softer light. But again a nice shot

Vida van der Walt
04-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Hi Ken, Roman, Jules and Morten. Your comments are much appreciated.:) Morten, a focus stack would have been impossible as the fly was moving all the time by waving those front legs in the air. Most of my shots are handheld as well and the majority of insects will not hang around long enough for a tripod to be set up. Thank you for suggesting the Sto fens but I have tried them before and they make almost no difference to the light. Hopefully I'll have decent diffusers soon.:)

Stu Bowie
04-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi Vida, one day I would like to see you post a collage of just eyes. It would make for some very interesting viewing. I think the darker BG helps here, and I understand the DOF with your lens. Another well captured image from you.

Charissa
04-23-2010, 02:03 AM
To add my super shot. Like everybody said, the eye is superb, no flash reflections, wonderful detail and colors. Ditto Stu, time for a "all eyes" series of shots.....

Vida van der Walt
04-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Thank you Stu and Charissa. Highly appreciated.:)