View Full Version : fern

Cheryl Flory
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 at 50mm
manual exposure at 1/60"
F7.1
ISO 400

OK, trying something else, and I had to shoot this without a tripod today. So I raised the ISO to get at least 1/60"
I will probably have another chance tomorrow. How can I improve this tomorrow?

Julie Kenward
04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I really love the comp on this Cheryl! I also like the diagonal angles and the tight crop. My only suggestion would be to get those top leaves to be as crisp as the ones going down the sides. Either increase the DOF or maybe try your hand at combining two images - one with the top in focus and one with the sides in focus.

Hope that helps. Can't wait to see you try this again...this is already very nice!

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Love the vibrant greens against the dark bg. Great comp and I like all the little curls. Good advice by Jules.:)

Ken Childs
04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Jules already hit on everything I would have so all I can add is that I really like this shot! There's something about unfurling ferns that I really like. :)

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Cheryl,
I like the light here but I think I would prefer a bit more seperation on the top of the fern and the back leaves.....so perhaps just a simple angle change.

Gail Spitler
04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
hi Cheryl - love the flow of the curves, good feeling of dynamics. The light is perfect. I agree with the comment about the oof leaves, I think they'll do better sharp.
Very nice.
Cheers
Gail

Anita Bower
04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm a bit late for giving advice for "tomorrow," but my advice would have been--I don't know how to improve it. I like this image very much, and especially appreciate it since I took photos of a little fern yesterday and know the challenges. How did you get the black bg?

Cheryl Flory
04-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Anita, I used black foam board behind the plant. The following day I did go back and checked out the ferns, but none of them had any curls that "grabbed" me. Yesterday they did. And I found out that I bought the wrong tripod for this kind of photoing! :(

Mike Moats
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Cheryl, I really like this, and your point of focus and DOF are perfect.

Bob Miller
04-24-2010, 08:36 PM
HI Cheryl....Agree with advise above...but just wanted to say I like this alot as presented