PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee

Bill Dix
04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 370mm. ISO 800. f/7.1, 1/1250s. +0.7 EV. HH.

I've had trouble capturing Chickadees, so I was pleased to get this one even if it is a very large crop lacking fine feather detail. (Cropped to vert, then 50% off height.) Aside from crop, did very little to this: darkened pupil, removed white blur from oof branch, USM; plus slight exposure adjustment in RAW capture. When I moved in for a closer shot he had moved to some beautiful white blossoms which would have made a lovely image, but he refused to give me a clean shot. As you can see, I sometimes like to use the corners of the frame although I know some feel otherwise. C&C appreciated.

Dave Mills
04-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Bill, I think you did a reasonably good job on the bird. The exposure looks good along with detail. I could see cropping this from the top just below the first bud. This will also get rid of some backround info. Would of preferred a cleaner backround but not overly distracting....

Bill Dix
04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Bill, I think you did a reasonably good job on the bird. The exposure looks good along with detail. I could see cropping this from the top just below the first bud. This will also get rid of some backround info. Would of preferred a cleaner backround but not overly distracting....

Dave, Good suggestion. Here's a repost cropped as suggested, which does help to clean up the BG. Unfortunately it makes a large crop even larger, so some additional detail seems to be lost when I resize to posting height.

Lance Peters
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Bill - repost is better compositionally but as you say - IQ is taking a hit. Exposure looks good and Good HA and eye contact.
Keep em coming :)

Ray Rozema
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Bill

you did a good job to get this little guy. These guys are tough they don't sit still and this has good eye and pose. I would vote for a little crop off top and bottom and your PP ethics allow clone out the branch in the BG going thru the head

TFS
Ray