PDA

View Full Version : Purple heron in Flight

Bibhav Behera
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
This was shot in Dudhwa National Park in India.
This was taken from elephant back in the Dudhwa marshes. Was tough to keep focus with the Elephant moving constantly (wonder why this one was so fidgety)

Got some decent shots. Its tough to shoot action shots with the 1000D due to its slow FPS (1.5 in RAW). Anyway managed a few. Comments and critiques welcome

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM + Canon EF 1.4x II Extender
SS 1/800
F 6.3
ISO 400
Full frame Image. Shot handheld.

PS: The image quality is low as this is linked from Blogger

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_m6-E9SjFucI/S8n8L3tklcI/AAAAAAAACs0/dkAx_FcwniQ/s1600/upload+31.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
04-18-2010, 05:35 PM
This is so cool reading about people halfway across the world taking bird photos from atop an elephant's back!:cool:

I like the colours, comp, and included habitat.

PS: The image quality is low as this is linked from Blogger

IMO it would be worth it to post the best quality version you can...I can see that the IQ is low so I can't really comment on that aspect of the image. Another thing is that many people will view your image here on BPN...with such exposure you would want to present the best you could, right? Just a thought...;)

Thanks for sharing!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I like the wide crop and wing position and only wish the bird had not passed you yet.

Arthur Morris
04-18-2010, 06:53 PM
A nice environmental portrait. The bird needs to be much sharper but the low IQ precludes that....

Bibhav Behera
04-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks Daniel, Axel and Artie for your observations.
Daniel, any suggestions where can I upload good quality images (for free) on the net so that I can link them here?
Blogger/Picassa or even flickr seem to kill image quality quite a bit. :(

Daniel Cadieux
04-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks Daniel, Axel and Artie for your observations.
Daniel, any suggestions where can I upload good quality images (for free) on the net so that I can link them here?
Blogger/Picassa or even flickr seem to kill image quality quite a bit. :(

Bibhav, just another thought here: Are you properly resizing your images BEFORE uploading them to these sites? Letting these types of sites resize your images automatically will likely result in much lower IQ...

Bibhav Behera
04-19-2010, 04:36 AM
Yes I resize to 800 px on the longer side before uploading. But still the image file size comes to arnd 100 odd Kb after uploading hence the low quality. :(