Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/4000"
F10
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3

We've been on foal watch for the past few weeks which means we would have to check on the mare every 2 hours or so throughout the night. My wife had to go out of town for a few days so I decided that since I was going to be up all night anyway, I might as well setup some my moth attracting lights to try and find some species I hadn't seen before. It worked well and in 3 nights I found 25 or so new species for this area. This was one of the more interesting ones. I'm still waiting on help with the ID.

The good news is that the fol was born last night at around midnight so we can sleep all night. WooHoo!

Mike Moats
04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Ken, a nice sharp image and like the subject on the nice textured BG, but it's a little to centered for me. I would have placed the wings on a diagonal and move it into the lower right corner having it looking into the frame from the corner.

Julie Kenward
04-18-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm with Mike...

It's a beautiful insect and you caught the irridescence of his wings so nicely but the comp could be a little more interesting. I'll check my insect book tomorrow and see if I can get you an I.D.

Ken Childs
04-18-2010, 10:38 AM
That makes sense and I'll give it a try. I set it up as I did to keep the grain of the brick running vertically.

Jules, I'll be surprised if you find this in your bug book unless you have a book that's dedicated strictly to moths. Even then, there are over 10,000 species of moths in the U.S. and Canada! Please do let me know if you find anything or even anything close.

Julie Kenward
04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Ken, it looks like a White Flannel Moth and fits the area. It is said to be attracted to lights at night but lives along the edges of fields and open woods. Their body is pure white and the antenna have orange bristles. Did yours have orange bristles?

Ken Childs
04-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for looking, Jules but the antenna didn't have any orange on them. The shape also looks wrong for Norape ovina. I've asked for help from my fellow bugs geeks. If/when I get a reply, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Ken Childs
04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
It's a White Spring Moth, Lomographa vestaliata.

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 05:34 AM
I love the iridescence of those wings and you captured sharp detail Ken. An interesting little moth.:)

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey Ken,
I agree with mike on the comp....but you have enough room to rotate it and crop if you choose. Nice to see an unusual subject that was nicely lit!

Anita Bower
04-21-2010, 06:36 AM
A lovely moth image. I like seeing the fringe on the wings and the BG that adds a nice contrast. Mike made a good suggestion re. composition. What a wondderful idea you had. Glad the foal is born and OK.

Ken Childs
04-21-2010, 06:53 AM
What a wondderful idea you had. Glad the foal is born and OK.
Thanks!

If you're interested, there's a photo of the little guy in the Friends, Family and More forum.