PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 1.4x TC Pro

Paul Pagano
02-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

Anyone use the Tamron 1.4x TC (white version)? What is your feeling on it? I just ordered a Canon 400L f/5.6 and would like to use only a 1.4 TC with it. (f/8 will be fine in sunshine-can't afford bigger and faster just yet) And I know the lens alone will be a trade up from the Bigma.

I read the Tammy retains AF w/o having to tape up pins and might be a bit faster on AF than the comparable (taped) Canon.

Looking for real world experience. Can't always trust reviews from buyers that don't use stuff like avian photographers do.

Thanks in advance.

Ian McHenry
02-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi Paul
I have the Tamron - F 1.4 for use with the K10D and Tamron 70-300.
Find to too slow for BIF pix.
Too much searching.
Ian Mc

Paul Pagano
02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Ian.

One of the reasons I am moving away from the K10D is because of the slowness of the AF. When I read the K20 didn't get an AF upgrade, that made my decision for me. (Disappointing because I loved everything else about it) The 30D I just got has a lightening fast AF compared to the K10D and I anticipate the 400 f/5.6 will be fast if all I have read is true. Still, I wonder how much the tc will slow it down. I've been blessed with some BIF shots with the K10 and Bigma but missed about 85%. The Bigma hunted really, really badly and would only AF at 500mm with center point focus on. The matrix focus would lock it up. I may just get the Tammy and give it a whirl. I could sell it on ebay for a very small loss if any at all.

Hi Paul
I have the Tamron - F 1.4 for use with the K10D and Tamron 70-300.
Find to too slow for BIF pix.
Too much searching.
Ian Mc

Nancy A Elwood
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I use it on my Tamron 300 2.8 AF SP IF and it works great on the D300!!

Ian McHenry
02-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi Paul
Appreciate your sharing your BIF experiences with the Pentax K10D.
I thought my K10D problems were with the AF lenses but it all makes sense as I believe the lenses worked better with the Pentax SFXN.
I do have an old Vivitar Series 1 PKAF @ 200mm with it's own batteries so will have to run comparisons.
Cheers:Ian Mc