Focal Length: 700 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

Randy Stout
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Troy:

Very nice head angle, perch, exposure.

Pleasant BG. Might consider a small crop from the top.

Cheers

Randy

Troy Lim
04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Troy:

Very nice head angle, perch, exposure.

Pleasant BG. Might consider a small crop from the top.

Cheers

Randy

Thank you, Randy.

John Chardine
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Quite lovely Troy. The image is simplicity itself. The lookback pose is very nice, and the perch is simpathetic to the overall image. On my monitor there is a slight cast to the image which I corrected in LAB colour, Channel A was a little too warm (magenta) and B was a little too cold (blue). Corrections on both these channels made a big difference.

Troy Lim
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Quite lovely Troy. The image is simplicity itself. The lookback pose is very nice, and the perch is simpathetic to the overall image. On my monitor there is a slight cast to the image which I corrected in LAB colour, Channel A was a little too warm (magenta) and B was a little too cold (blue). Corrections on both these channels made a big difference.

John,
Can you post the correction? Thank you.

John Chardine
04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Here's a correction in LAB colour. When I said "a little" in my comment I meant it. The difference is subtle and on my monitor you were not far off. LAB correction was done on the bill highlights- not many pixels! You can see a difference in the tone of the grey in the face.

Troy Lim
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's a correction in LAB colour. When I said "a little" in my comment I meant it. The difference is subtle and on my monitor you were not far off. LAB correction was done on the bill highlights- not many pixels! You can see a difference in the tone of the grey in the face.

John, can you give me tips of what you did to correct it? Thank you. Yes, the correction looks much better.

John Chardine
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Troy- PM'ed you with the method but here it is:

First diagnose any cast by choosing a highlight area that you think is as close to white as anything in the image comes. In the flycatcher image there wasn't much to work with but I decided to correct based on the bill highlights.The bill highlights were running + 2 to 3 in A and -4 to -5 in the B. + in A means too Magenta, and - in B means too blue. Convert to LAB and go to Curves and select the colour channels A and/or B) that need correction. In either you will see a vary narrow histogram. Pick up the curve at the histogram peak and drag up or down to bring the white highlights to as close to 0,0 as you can. Up or down depends on the direction you need to go and if you have Amount of Light or Pigment ink selected in the Curve display options. In the Information panel of Ps I have LAB colour selected so I can be looking at the A and B readout as I do this. The panel shows you before and after which is very useful.

Troy Lim
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Troy- PM'ed you with the method but here it is:

First diagnose any cast by choosing a highlight area that you think is as close to white as anything in the image comes. In the flycatcher image there wasn't much to work with but I decided to correct based on the bill highlights.The bill highlights were running + 2 to 3 in A and -4 to -5 in the B. + in A means too Magenta, and - in B means too blue. Convert to LAB and go to Curves and select the colour channels A and/or B) that need correction. In either you will see a vary narrow histogram. Pick up the curve at the histogram peak and drag up or down to bring the white highlights to as close to 0,0 as you can. Up or down depends on the direction you need to go and if you have Amount of Light or Pigment ink selected in the Curve display options. In the Information panel of Ps I have LAB colour selected so I can be looking at the A and B readout as I do this. The panel shows you before and after which is very useful.

Thank you John.

Stu Bowie
04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Good look back pose, and I like the BG. Comp wise, I would only move him to the left.

Dave Leroy
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I like the very nice look back pose and clean bg.
An intersting treatment by John. A very subtle change.
Nice and sharp.

Troy Lim
04-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Good look back pose, and I like the BG. Comp wise, I would only move him to the left.

Thanks Stuart, I tried moving to the left some more, but too much emptiness on the right.

Troy Lim
04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I like the very nice look back pose and clean bg.
An intersting treatment by John. A very subtle change.
Nice and sharp.

Thank you Dave.