PDA

View Full Version : Browser color management, or not, or BPN??

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Good example/comment in the Eager to Learn forum, titled Yellow-headed Blackbird. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61809
In it Michael points out the difference between the OP original image with no color profile and one with sRGB profile. Same jpg with and without profile attached. Big difference, I can see it on Firefox 3.6. Most noticeable in the yellow. So, how can we here make critical (color) comments on images that are browser (not monitor) dependent? And/or posters that post image with no color profile?? We can not. This color profile/management stuff is getting worse, not better for the average user. And I've noticed many images here when opened in PS have no color profile.

My best (only) solution if reasonable/possible is for BPN to convert all images to sRGB.

Is it me, am I mis-understanding this???

Tom

Alan Melle
04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
You can convert the profile to sRGB before uploading the images.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
It is suggested to post images saved as sRGB since some people use browsers that are not color-managed such as IE. Newer versions of Firefox and Safari are color-managed.

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
"You can convert the profile to sRGB before uploading the images."

Yes, I know, you know, and we do. Do post as sRGB. Many, most?, posters don't. Can we expect them too?? Evidently not since I see a lot of images not sRGB.
That is why I'm suggesting BPN do it if they can.

Tom

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-17-2010, 02:47 PM
It is suggested to post images saved as sRGB since some people use browsers that are not color-managed such as IE. Newer versions of Firefox and Safari are color-managed.

Saving as sRGB is good, but must also have color profile in metadata in order for the browsers to color manage. (also a good idea to use a color managed browser ;) )

Unfortunately, it isn't immediately obvious in the usual save dialog boxes... Photoshop's Save for Web for instance:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/yamo/images/AccessibleImages/ICC%20profile%20check%20box.JPG

That little ICC Profile box must be checked. Similar looking box in the Save As dialog.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-17-2010, 03:09 PM
"You can convert the profile to sRGB before uploading the images."

Yes, I know, you know, and we do. Do post as sRGB. Many, most?, posters don't. Can we expect them too?? Evidently not since I see a lot of images not sRGB.
That is why I'm suggesting BPN do it if they can.

Tom

Tom,

Greetings. I think most posted images are created as sRGB, but alas, only perhaps half have the profile attached.

Assuming sRGB or coverting to sRGB would be problematic for BPN, methinks. Better for posters to elect to attach the profile (virtually no cost in size or exposed information in metadata). [Color managed browsers use and attaching profiles would allow aRGB or proPhoto images to be displayed appropriately on the web even. But not suggesting such here!]

Cheers,

-Michael-

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks -again- Michael.
And that is exactly why I think, if possible, BPN should do it. (You may be one of the 5% here that know this).
When I save PS jpg there is indeed a box for - ICC Profile: sRGB

Tom

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Do other image web sites, pbase, dpreview, etc "make sure" images are sRGB?
FWIW, I went to dpreview and randomly downloaded 10 jpgs (total) from the Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic forums. All 10 had sRGB profile, if I read PS right. Are dpreview members really that smart about posting in sRGB - with megadata???

Tom

Michael Wolf
04-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Saving as sRGB is good, but must also have color profile in metadata in order for the browsers to color manage. (also a good idea to use a color managed browser ;) )

Unfortunately, it isn't immediately obvious in the usual save dialog boxes... Photoshop's Save for Web for instance:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/yamo/images/AccessibleImages/ICC%20profile%20check%20box.JPG

That little ICC Profile box must be checked. Similar looking box in the Save As dialog.

Cheers,

-Michael-

My check box on CS4 states "Embed Color Profile" instead of ICC Profile. Same I would think?

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
My check box on CS4 states "Embed Color Profile" instead of ICC Profile. Same I would think?

Yes. I should have mentioned I'm showing the CS3 dialog box...

Cheers,

-Michael-