PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about switching from Canon to Nikon

Lana Hays
02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm frustrated with Canon....as many. I'd like to try some macro photography and thought I might get a D300 and Sigma 180mm macro lens. That would give me something to play with while learning a new camera system. There was a recent post about some conflict with Sigma lenses and the new Nikon cameras. Here's a couple of questions.

1) Has anyone used the D300 and a Sigma 180mm macro lens? Any problems?

2) I love the images from my Canon 5D......anyone use both a Canon 5D and D300 care to compare. I know all the differences in specs.....I'm just interested in the quality of image. The 5D was great for inside.....but I want to shoot outside in all types of weather and it won't take much to "kill" the 5D. Will the D300 should withstand moisture?

3) How hard will it be to learn the Nikon camera.

I'm really torn between ditching all the equipment I have and switching......and giving Canon until this fall to see if they can get their act together. Any words of wisdom will be most appreciated.

Fabs Forns
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Lana, I have the Sigma 150 macro and it works great with the D300

I did have a learning curve because N camera meter is totally different from C. For instance, before sunrise, with C, you need to add at least 1 spot of light. With N, it's even or minus. At the beginning I was burning right and left, but now I'm fine. Also, the compensation is ina different direction, for N, plus is to the left and minus to the right. Go know....

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toys :)

Josh O'Donnell
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I've never used Canon so I can't answer that part. I have tried the 180mm Sigma on my D300 and it was fine (I only took a couple images, it was a friends lens and I was just trying it out for my sh'giggles). I don't know off hand which custom function it is, but I know there is one that will flip-flop the compensation direction.

Maxis Gamez
02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi Lana,

In what aspect is your frustration? Canon macro lenses are if not one of the best lenses out there. My only problem is the price tag and that would be the only reason to settle for a Sigma.

Lana Hays
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Maxis
I'd like a new camera to replace my 1DMkIIN but I will not buy a MkIII right now. I had a 40D but sold it as it wasn't as good as my MkIIN. I'd like more megapixels than 10. I love the 5D but the shutter lag is horrible for birds and it is very sensitive to water.....as in permanently dying with just mist for some people. I have heard that the 180 mm macro Sigma is as good as the Canon....at a much less cost and I was hoping that the Nikon equivalent was as good. All my other lenses right now are Canon and the 180mm Sigma is the only lens that I would consider other than buying Nikon or Canon.

LeeOtsubo
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Let me know when your IIN and 500/4 are up for sale! :D

Maxis Gamez
02-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Maxis
I'd like a new camera to replace my 1DMkIIN but I will not buy a MkIII right now. I had a 40D but sold it as it wasn't as good as my MkIIN. I'd like more megapixels than 10. I love the 5D but the shutter lag is horrible for birds and it is very sensitive to water.....as in permanently dying with just mist for some people. I have heard that the 180 mm macro Sigma is as good as the Canon....at a much less cost and I was hoping that the Nikon equivalent was as good. All my other lenses right now are Canon and the 180mm Sigma is the only lens that I would consider other than buying Nikon or Canon.

If you want more pixels, have you consider the 1Ds MkIII? The 40D is not as good as the MkIIN and it should not be as the camera is in a different level. Again price is a huge problem.

The Canon 180mm L as you mention is very expensive but the lens delivers an amazing quality but like I said the only problem is the price, NOT the lens.

Looks like you are frustrated because you want more pixels but those pixels come at a huge expense, but I don't think is because of the products Canon manufactures.

The problem is the price tag and that's why we have to settle for other brands like Sigma.

Robert O'Toole
02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm frustrated with Canon....as many. I'd like to try some macro photography and thought I might get a D300 and Sigma 180mm macro lens. That would give me something to play with while learning a new camera system. There was a recent post about some conflict with Sigma lenses and the new Nikon cameras. Here's a couple of questions.

I choose the D300 for a few reasons that you didnt mention:
The Nikon wireless macro flash system very flexible and resonably priced, Canon doesnt offer this at all.
The D300 uses Nikons proven 1005 pixel RGB sensor for exposure, AF, and WB, Canon doesnt offer anything like this in any camera.
The AF system is more advanced and much easier to use than even the 1D pro series cameras.
The rear LCD is superb .

1) Has anyone used the D300 and a Sigma 180mm macro lens? Any problems?

My D300 and 150mm Sigma have worked perfect for me. You should look into the 150. It is considered by many one of the finest Macro lenses ever, the 180 is slightly less so and larger and slower and more costly. On a D300 the S150 effective crop factor is 225mm.

2) I love the images from my Canon 5D......anyone use both a Canon 5D and D300 care to compare. I know all the differences in specs.....I'm just interested in the quality of image. The 5D was great for inside.....but I want to shoot outside in all types of weather and it won't take much to "kill" the 5D. Will the D300 should withstand moisture?

The D300 body seals, controls and compartment doors are all selaed with O-rings. My D300 has been soaked/drenched a few times with no ill effects so far.

3) How hard will it be to learn the Nikon camera.

It has taken me much less time than I though possible. The biggest adjustment for me was exposure comp. My 1D/1DS/1DMKII/1DSMKIIN/1DMKIIN all were almost permanently on +2/3, or +1 to +2 in low light. The Nikon RGB sensor is much more on target in getting histogram over to the right without any Comp.

Hope this info helps.

Robert

Fabs Forns
02-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I forgot to tell you, we both got the Sigma 1.4X and use it with the 150 macro for more reach :)

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
The 1.4X from Nikon will not work on the sigma lens

Maxis the 1DsM3 is 8k and the AF is a first cousin to the 1DMk3 !!!!

Lana Hays
02-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Maxis the 1DsM3 is 8k and the AF is a first cousin to the 1DMk3 !!!!

Exactly my point. I sure don't want to spend even more money on a camera that has the potential for AF issues.....and especially the "smearing" on some images.

My biggest concern on making the full switch would be the availability of the 500mm VR lens and it's cost compared to Canon. It is the 500mm lens that I use 99% of my time.

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 07:11 AM
They are slow in getting things out but I don't think will be a problems

Robert O'Toole
02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Canon macro lenses are if not one of the best lenses out there. My only problem is the price tag and that would be the only reason to settle for a Sigma.

Hi Maxis, I think this statement on pricing applies perfectly to big telephotos and zooms but not so much so to the Macro lens category. Canon isnt exactly famous for top Macro (or wideangle) lenses :eek: Buy, try, or borrow all the lenses Tamron, Sigma, Canon, Nikon and try them and I dont think you would have the same opinion as you do now.
I have owned a Tamron 180 (super light and super IQ but slow AF drive motor), Sigma 180 and 150, and the Canon 180 (2 of them in fact) and the Canon isnt near the top of the heap in terms of IQ. So for many, at least my decision, to own non Canon macro lenses has nothing to do with price.
That said I would never intend to buy any non Canon or non Nikon long Telephoto.

Robert

James Prudente
02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Lana,

Hang on for a bit and Canon will have a new Mark IIIN or IV or whatever they will call it and we will all be praising or d***ing it. I have owned both systems and each has its ups and downs.

Cheers,

Jim

Jason Ambler
02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Maxis, I think this statement on pricing applies perfectly to big telephotos and zooms but not so much so to the Macro lens category. Canon isnt exactly famous for top Macro (or wideangle) lenses :eek: Buy, try, or borrow all the lenses Tamron, Sigma, Canon, Nikon and try them and I dont think you would have the same opinion as you do now.

Robert

I have to agree with Robert about the image quality of the 3rd party macros. While my experience is limited to a Tamron SPAF 90mm macro, the IQ was great, sharp image (especially at high magnification) and color rendition was good.

I also have to side with Maxis as my issue with this lens was not in the image quality but with the lens build quality and mechanics. The lens physically zoomed out (I hit more than one amphibian subject in the head with the lens :o) and the zoom seemed noisy and slow to AF. At high maginification the lens would hunt for the focus noisely moving in and out. The manual focus is not full time and has to be engaged by moving the focus ring. I personally think the IQ for highly magnified objects was very slightly better than the 100 mm canon wide open through ~f/5.6 but I ultimately chose the canon for the other reasons mentioned.

Just my 2 cents,

Jason

Robert O'Toole
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
I also have to side with Maxis as my issue with this lens was not in the image quality but with the lens build quality and mechanics. The lens physically zoomed out (I hit more than one amphibian subject in the head with the lens :o) and the zoom seemed noisy and slow to AF. At high maginification the lens would hunt for the focus noisely moving in and out. The manual focus is not full time and has to be engaged by moving the focus ring.
Jason

Good point and I agree with you totally on this. This is the main reason I sold my Tamron 180 and went with Sigma, the IQ was superb but the AF was not. The S150 and S 180 macro both feature USM motors.

Robert

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I also have the Sigma 150 It is well built and has a matching converter One thing regarding the AF Most of the time I use the lens in manual focus !!!

Going back a few years I was surprised to see some Canon shooters selling the 180 (Canon) and going for the Sigma Reason was IQ

John Harper
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Lana

Here's my take on things as a Canon Shooter for a number of years. As you know i held off on the MKIII till the sub mirror fix was announced, and then decided to take the plunge and get one because of the better high ISO performance which is handy for shots here in the UK.

I have been pleasantly surprised as to the speed and accuracy of the autofocus on my MKIII, and I am using it as my camera of choice for Birds in flight.

I am aware that other people have been having issues, with their MKIII's, but for my needs and expectations its fine, and Artie is still using his judging by the data on the photos in his bulletins.

Canon had been the high speed shooters manufacturer of choice until the problems with the MKIII and Nikons entry into the market with the D3 & D300 you at last had a realistic alternative to Canon.

However who is to say that Canons next camera will not be better than the D3 or D300 I am sure they are keen to stop market share drifting to Nikon, so will pull out all the stops to get a D3 beater out sooner rather than later.

You have invested in Canon Glass and will be able to get most of your money back on the "L" stuff
but will then have to pay full rate for the 500 VR Nikon which i believe is more expensive anyway.

My reaction would be wait a while.. see what develops before jumping to Nikon and maybe wishing 12 months later that you had stayed where you were... Act in haste... repent at leisure.

Thats my take on things but your mileage may vary as they say.

John Harper

George DeCamp
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Whichever system you choose, and both are great, the Sigma Macro lenses are killer! The quality is up there with the best from Canon and Nikon and the price is half. If I had it to do all over again I would have the Sigma 180 or 150 without a second thought. I was brand conscious when i got the Nikon Macro lenses but have learned a few things since. Not to say I am not happy, just poorer than I should be. ;)

Chuck Coyne
02-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I've been reading so many negative posts regarding the 1D III I almost think that there is another camera model out there with the same name! Mine is a pre-blue dot camera that worked fine before the sub-mirror fix. However, I did have to set various levels of micro adjustments with each of my lenses. But I never had any issues with focusing problems in AI Servo or One Shot modes. I sent mine in to Canon for the sub-mirror fix and now the camera is even better than before. Every one of my lenses now focuses without any micro adjustments since getting it back from the sub-mirror fix. The camera is an absolute joy to use. See my website's recent gallery of pics from Zion N.P. for some of the pics taken with my 1D III www.chuckcoynephoto.com (http://www.chuckcoynephoto.com/) . Now I can't say I put it through the exact kind of shooting conditions that RG did in his tests that surfaced the AI Servo focus problem, but I've used it very successfully shooting birds in flight and some indoor and outdoor sports. The warm weather is coming so I'll have a better idea in a few months. But even if my keeper rate on hot days shooting fast sequence shots is not quite as good as my 1D IIN (which I own as well) I wouldn't get rid of the 1D III. I can see if you are a professional sports photographer that counts on making a living by taking fast action sequence shots in the hot weather, then maybe you should be concerned. But if you shoot a variety of subjects, in a variety of conditions, you will benefit from the awesome IQ, low noise at high ISO, stream lined menu system, and great battery life that the 1D III provides. Besides if you purchase it at a reputable retailer you can give a thorough testing and if you don't like what you see you can return it within the stated time frame for a refund or exchange it for a new camera (B&H, Adorama, Hunt's, etc...). And what if the rumored "new fix" materializes from Canon? All the better. You can still enjoy using the camera for the other than "fast sequence AI Servo shots taken in hot weather". Don't let the naysayer’s out there ruin the potential for great photographs that can be made with this awesome tool. And if you have a 1D III and it isn't focusing correctly send it back to Canon and demand it be fixed. I can't believe that I own one of the only "good" 1D III's made (actually I know I don't as I'm personally aware of at least 8 other photographers that have the same great experience with their 1D III 's that I do. All but two have a pre-blue dot camera and all have had them repaired by Canon and they are working at least as good as before the fix.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chuck

Chuck Coyne
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I've been reading so many negative posts regarding the 1D III I almost think that there is another camera model out there with the same name! Mine is a pre-blue dot camera that worked fine before the sub-mirror fix. However, I did have to set various levels of micro adjustments with each of my lenses. But I never had any issues with focusing problems in AI Servo or One Shot modes. I sent mine in to Canon for the sub-mirror fix and now the camera is even better than before. Every one of my lenses now focuses without any micro adjustments since getting it back from the sub-mirror fix. The camera is an absolute joy to use. See my website's recent gallery of pics from Zion N.P. for some of the pics taken with my 1D III www.chuckcoynephoto.com (http://www.chuckcoynephoto.com/) . Now I can't say I put it through the exact kind of shooting conditions that RG did in his tests that surfaced the AI Servo focus problem, but I've used it very successfully shooting birds in flight and some indoor and outdoor sports. The warm weather is coming so I'll have a better idea in a few months. But even if my keeper rate on hot days shooting fast sequence shots is not quite as good as my 1D IIN (which I own as well) I wouldn't get rid of the 1D III. I can see if you are a professional sports photographer that counts on making a living by taking fast action sequence shots in the hot weather, then maybe you should be concerned. But if you shoot a variety of subjects, in a variety of conditions, you will benefit from the awesome IQ, low noise at high ISO, stream lined menu system, and great battery life that the 1D III provides. Besides if you purchase it at a reputable retailer you can give a thorough testing and if you don't like what you see you can return it within the stated time frame for a refund or exchange it for a new camera (B&H, Adorama, Hunt's, etc...). And what if the rumored "new fix" materializes from Canon? All the better. You can still enjoy using the camera for the other than "fast sequence AI Servo shots taken in hot weather". Don't let the naysayer’s out there ruin the potential for great photographs that can be made with this awesome tool. And if you have a 1D III and it isn't focusing correctly send it back to Canon and demand it be fixed. I can't believe that I own one of the only "good" 1D III's made (actually I know I don't as I'm personally aware of at least 8 other photographers that have the same great experience with their 1D III 's that I do. All but two have a pre-blue dot camera and all have had them repaired by Canon and they are working at least as good as before the fix.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chuck

KK Hui
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Lana,

I shoot both system since the film days. I like Nikon for their better Wide Angle lenses. For telephoto and super telephoto I think both are on par as far as image quality goes. Exposure on Nikon DSLR is different compared to EOS and I've experience similar to Fabs. It's unfortunate about 1D3 AF saga. Nonetheless I think Canon will be on top of it after all and I look forward to the next model, Mk IV or whatever. Personally I prefer EOS control setup. It gives me an impression that it's of better refinement all round.

Best of luck with your decision!

Lana Hays
02-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks, everyone. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent systems and over the long haul I don't think that you could go wrong with either. I think that I will sit tight for now with my Canon equipment. I have several lenses that I will sell since I never use them. Come fall, if Canon doesn't have something to offer......that works as it should......I'll be in a better position to switch.

Steve Ashton
02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Lana, I come from the perspective like you of having concerns with some aspects of canon equipment, but Im not sure I get your point here. If you want more MP than 10 the 1DMKIII is no good for you anyway. If you go nikon you will need the D3 to compare to your present body. Thar seesm like a lot of expense for 2 MP. The images on your site are stunning so why do you need to change?

If its change for change sake as Maxis said look at the 1Ds MKIII. I have spent the last week testing this body against the D3 and it wins hands down in terms of quality of image. Yes its a different beast for a different job. Maybe the D3x will suit you in a few months but cost will be as the big canon.

Those Sigma lenses are sweet by the way in particular the 150mm,

Good look

Lana Hays
02-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Steve
I don't always get as close as I would like with some of the small birds so I'd like the extra mp for some cropping. I have really liked the Canon 5D with the 12mp.....beautiful detail, color and quality. However the shutter lag is horrible and if it gets near moisture i'm afraid that it will die so it's of limited use for me with the birds. I want to start doing more "birdscapes" and macro so I felt that the added pixels would be good. At this point I won't consider the MkIII and as much as I'd love to have a 1Ds MIII.....it's too costly for my purposes. I'm hoping that Canon may put something else out on the table next fall. The D3X would be what I would be most interested in with the Nikons.

Walt Anderson
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Lana and Fabs,
Just a note that with a D300 you can change the direction of the plus and minus locations on the compensation scale in the custom function menu. Good thing too because like the lens mount Nikon got it backwards. :-)

Walt Anderson

Robert O'Toole
02-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks, everyone. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent systems and over the long haul I don't think that you could go wrong with either. I think that I will sit tight for now with my Canon equipment. I have several lenses that I will sell since I never use them. Come fall, if Canon doesn't have something to offer......that works as it should......I'll be in a better position to switch.

Don’t forget that cameras are just tools and I don’t see why they should be treated as anything more than that. Why is it that people have to sell all of their possessions like they are joining a cult? You are a Canon person or a Nikon person, or Mac or PC, MBZ or BMW, why can’t you own both brands? They are just objects and should not be treated like you are converting to a new religion!
Last year I started off with one Nikon, the D300 + 200-400 Nikkor without any intention of a "switch".
4 months later I have sold most of my Canon gear but that is another story :)

Good luck and I am sure you will do okay either way.

Robert

Fabs Forns
02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Lana and Fabs,
Just a note that with a D300 you can change the direction of the plus and minus locations on the compensation scale in the custom function menu. Good thing too because like the lens mount Nikon got it backwards. :-)

Walt Anderson

I know that, thanks. I didn't change because I teach and I would driving my students crazy :)
It's enough that I go crazy ;)