PDA

View Full Version : Song Sparrow

Bryan Hix
04-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Finally it's warm and the birds are out singing again. I had this cooperative song sparrow pose for several shots. I liked this one in the cattails with the early sunrise lighting and the bird's head angle. I used fill flash to lessen shadows. I also applied a slight vignette to focus more on the bird.

Canon 1D Mk3
Canon 600mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
ISO 500, 1/125 @ f/8, -1 Flash Comp w/Better Beamer
Av Mode +1/3, Eval Meter
LR2, sharpened and add a little more warmth to counter the cool flash temp.

Joe Senzatimore
04-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Love the soft colors in this , though they seem a bit bright. I would also try it as a vert as I don't think you need all the "environment" on the left side. Beautiful rendering of the birds color and detail.

Daniel Cadieux
04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Excellent pose, and good comp. I love the view of the hind toes. I actually don't mind the included reeds at left, but find the overall surroundings a bit too light. Playing a bit in Levels (Black and Midpoint sliders) should give you some nice results - and this should also give you a better sense of early sunrise light.

Dave Leroy
04-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Very nice shot. I like the inclusion of the habitat and good for you to gte the sparrow clear of the reeds.
I agree it is a bit light/bright, but still a very nice job.

Bryan Hix
04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Here's the repost with levels adjusted. I do think this version looks better. Thanks for the suggestion DC.