PDA

View Full Version : Tulip #2

Julie Kenward
04-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Here's the 2nd image in my favorite 'tulip of all time' series. I believe I had 2-3 extension tubes on the end of my macro lens at the time I was working this one. I did try the lensbaby with it but it didn't give me the definition on both sides of the cental petal like the extension tubes did. The lensbaby image will be up tomorrow...

Also...if you don't get up to the "Friends and Family" forum you might want to stop by today. I posted an image last night of the slivered moon as an 'in camera' blur and it was too much fun to do. The moon will still be perfect tonight if anyone wants to get out there and give it a try! Put on your longest lens, knock the aperture to f9 or smaller and open up the ss to about 4-5 seconds (ISO 100) and then giggle that camera!

Okay, back to Tulip #2...

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8, extension tubes
f 6.3 @ 1/50th, handheld but elbows on the table to brace, ISO 400
Daylight WB, pattern metering, natural light very close to a window

Barbara Kile
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Lovely, Jules and the symmetry is cool! Isn't it great we have so many tools at our disposal to play with?

Cheryl Flory
04-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Julie, you do such gorgeous work! I love the shades of color and the lines radiating out from the brightest color.

how do you get such a soft focus/feel to the image???

Julie Kenward
04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Cheryl, I think handholding has a lot to do with it - I usually steady myself on a table top or countertop but you still get that little bit of a shake - and that, I think, adds to the softness that you see. I also use soft, natural light 99.9% of the time, usually filtered by a window, and the extension tubes tend to help soften the overall effect as well.

That help?

Christopher Miller
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Beautiful, Jules! :) Simply outstanding! Very nice symmetrical comp and I love the colors!

Mike Moats
04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Jules, from the thumb nail I wasn't expecting to see much, but it has much more details then I thought. Like the pattern in the lines, and the shadows of the overlapping petals.

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Lovely image Jules. Soft with enough detail to see the texture of those petals. Great lines and beautiful colours.:)

Roman Kurywczak
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Jules,
I really like the subtle depth to this image! I don't mind the symmetry either!
Very nicely done!