1/250"
F16
ISO: 200
LR & CS3

This is a male.

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Ken,
Wish for a better perch....but this is where they land! Very nice on the BG and sharpness....not my favorite pose (away) but you have enough depth to make this work. I do know the tail is this bright.....but toning it down may allow for more emphasis on the head and eyes. Just some food for thought.

Julie Kenward
04-17-2010, 07:28 AM
We do love to look into the eyes but, you know, this is about as good as it gets with the back view of these insects! Lovely details and neat to see something a little different than the norm. I agree with Roman that pulling the blues darker (just a tiny bit) would help anchor the FG of the image and send out eyes shooting to his head instead of them sliding down his back and out of the frame. Make sense?

Lovely image, Ken!

Cheryl Flory
04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
this dragon fly looks as if he is glowing from the inside, even the head and thorax! such great details.

Ken Childs
04-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree with Roman that pulling the blues darker (just a tiny bit) would help anchor the FG of the image and send out eyes shooting to his head instead of them sliding down his back and out of the frame. Make sense?
It's make perfect sense and probably would make this a more pleasing shot but I'm not sure I want to get so far away from what this dragon really looks like. I've already taken some liberties with the amount of blue. It's a "whitetail" after all. :)

Ken Childs
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Is this more like what you had in mind?

Anita Bower
04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Ken: I took the liberty to make some adjustments to your image. I rotated it so the wings wouldn't be parallel to the horizontal, brightened it a bit in curves, and painted the stem to darken some. That brightened the blue, so I darkened it some. What do you think?

Ken Childs
04-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Anita, I think if I were to rotate it, I would have gone the other way so the perch would be vertical. By brightening it, the perch and parts of the bug look a bit harsh, at least on my monitor. Selective brightening might have been the way to go.

Anita Bower
04-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Anita, I think if I were to rotate it, I would have gone the other way so the perch would be vertical. By brightening it, the perch and parts of the bug look a bit harsh, at least on my monitor. Selective brightening might have been the way to go.
It never occurred to me to do selective brightening. I didn't want the stem to be vertical. Of course, I defer to your preferences on this!