PDA

View Full Version : Poppy on the lens-

Steve Bein
04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
An old technique that I have not used in years. I was inspired by the poppy bloom in Antelope Valley, CA.
It was fun to be back with a respectable bloom of wildflowers after years of dissappointment.
I used a 24-105 lens with a 25mm extension tube, placed the flower on top of the lens and shot transilluminated into the sun. the light was a bit strong, but the photo was fun.
shot @40mm
1/125 sec, f/14

Further clarification: this is full frame. No cropping, not the slightest. It was hard to place the flower on the lens due to the winds and having to hold it vertical. I desaturated it because the sun was shining through and it was even more saturated and brighter than this image shows. It did help a bit with more sharpening. I should have used a tighter aperture since the depth of field, with the actual focus point just about 1/4" above the lens, was very tight.
Anyway, It was fun to do this again. My last use of this technique was with a 15mm fisheye and a 12mm extension tube.

Ken Childs
04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Steve, that's an interesting method. I'll have to give it a try.

A larger image would help give us a better look but this seems a bit oversaturated and not quite sharp enough. I think those 2 simple adjustments would really help make this a great image. :)

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey Steve,
Very cool technique...but I agree with Ken....a bit too oversaturated and a tad more sharpening.....I do wish for a bit more inclusion on the clipped pistels....but I do really like the unusual lighting!

Julie Kenward
04-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Agree with the others and the stamen being included at the bottom would have put this one over the top for me. Very cool idea to "shoot through the lens" - thank you so much for explaining what you did so we can all give it a try. And I know the colors are oversaturated but darn, if they aren't beautiful.