D3S
Sigmonster @ 800MM
F6.3
1/1000th
-1.3EV
Matrix Metering
AFS
Tripod

Cropped, Sharpened added a little vibrancy and saturation.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Lance,

Greetings. Like the peli... it looks quite different from the white pelicans I've seen here (which I guess are American White Pelicans) which have more orange beaks and green eyes and feathers are not completely around the eye. Nice whites in harsh light.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Ricardo Rodriguez
04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Lance, beautiful pastel colors in the beak. Love your image!!

Gus Hallgren
04-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Lance

Would never know it was harsh light. Well done, I like it.

TFS

Gus

Dave Mills
04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi Lance,you definately toned down the light. Very different from the white pelican here in the US. Pretty bird!

Lance Peters
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Lance,you definately toned down the light. Very different from the white pelican here in the US. Pretty bird!

Yes - waited for him to swim into a area of shadow caused by buildings on the foreshore :)

Grant Atkinson
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Lance, I really liked the fine detail in the bird, and the soft blue background. The little wake at the bird's belly also added movement. Nice shot.
Grant

Deborah Hanson
04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Beautiful detail in the whites. The pastel shade of the colors in the bird work great with the background.
Textures of the feathers and bill are nicely caught as well.
My learning question (if you don't mind) - why did you choose a close crop. If mine, I would have cropped farther out on the left side of the frame.
Striking especially in harsh light.

Thanks
Deb

Lance Peters
04-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Beautiful detail in the whites. The pastel shade of the colors in the bird work great with the background.
Textures of the feathers and bill are nicely caught as well.
My learning question (if you don't mind) - why did you choose a close crop. If mine, I would have cropped farther out on the left side of the frame.
Striking especially in harsh light.

Thanks
Deb

Hi Deb - I cropped close to really keep all the attention on the bird - also there were some distractions in the water with a loser crop - yes I could have P.S. them - but I try and get my images IN -CAMERA and only resort to Photoshop work as a last resort.

Ken Lassman
04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Stunning photo Lance...love the colors and the comp. They look so different from the American White.

Ray Rozema
04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi Lance
The lines and color in the bill are great. impressive detail in the whites. Unusual pose but like it very much. My preferrence would be not quite such a tight crop

TFS
Ray