PDA

View Full Version : Naturally framed

Todd Frost
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
While moving around looking for different comps on this ram I saw an opening through the trees that framed him while he was overlooking the valley below.
D300, 400 2.8 w/1.4tc, 1/1000, f4, iso400, man exp.
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Steve Kaluski
04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Todd

Wondered where you had got too, haven't seen you for a while?;)

The title works well with the subject and it's good to see the environment framing the subject rather than the camera. I might be tempted to add a bit more foliage to the top lh corner, however the OOF branch in the foreground is the one that is distracting me, although I guess you are trying to give that 'overlooking' feeling hiden from view. Saying that, I am concerned with the amount of suggested 'tinkering' to the image these days, and perhaps we need to be more 'accepting' of the image, rather than the perfect one?

Always difficult with snow conditions as they through the metering off, but you have done very well with the exposure. Perhaps a slightly tighter crop?

TFS
Steve ;)

Todd Frost
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks Steve,
Had a pesky little bug on the computer I could not get rid of, so had to reformat and start fresh. I guess it coincided with BPN's problems so there is not too much to catch up on.
Todd

Stu Bowie
04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Todd, I can see two frames in this - the ram framed between the foliage, and the eye between the horns. The angle of capture works for me, and as Steve said, good exposure throughout.

Harshad Barve
04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Fantastic exposure in tough conditions Todd , excellent image
TFS

Steve Canuel
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Todd,
I like the cold habitat you captured and the relaxed state of observation of the ram over his environment. I'd lessen the prominence of the OOF branch at the bottom by cropping a bit tighter like so. Still has a nice "framed" look for me. I'll pull it down upon request.

Tom Graham
04-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The horn touching the eye bothers me a lot. I know it really isn't touching, but it is in 2D.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Hi Todd, interesting crop Steve suggested. ;)

Steve, I think we are on the same 'wave length' :)

Steve

Todd Frost
04-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Steve, re post looks good.
Todd