PDA

View Full Version : New 7D Firmware update version 1.2.1

Jamie Douglas
04-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi

Just got home and read an email from Canon advising a new firmware for the 7D is available.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos7d/firmware.html

The following improvements and fixes have been incorporated.

The camera will allow a longer period of operation before the high temperature warning indicator is displayed, and automatic shut down of the camera occurs, during Live View or when using EOS Movie functions.
When Auto ISO is used and Program Shift is applied, the ISO setting will be more stable and not change as frequently when the Main Dial is rotated.
Corrects a misspelling in the French-language menu.(Only for products with French menu options.)
Corrects a phenomenon in which vertical magenta-colored banding appears in still images taken in movie-shooting mode.
This only occurs when in Manual exposure mode and when the ISO speed is set to "H". Note that this phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.0.

Garry Gibson
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I have not applied the update but over on POTN there is a lot of discussion
about some of the effects of the firmware. Below is a quick portion. I cannot
verify it, but it appears several posters have seen the same thing.

Just wanted to pass it along.

I think something happened in this firmware with regard to ISO. Look at the few pieces of evidence we've seen....

1) I've reported (as have others) that "remaining images" number went up after the firmware update. Basically, I can store 7% more images than I could before. High ISO images are larger - because of the noise I believe. It's more information.

2) We've seen people here reporting less noise in there images... and better high ISO performance.

Explain why else the number of images I can get onto a 16GB card changed from 505 to 541... Something was optimized or changed.

Garry