PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Bruce Gove
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi All,

I think I've finally found the site I've been looking for. Having Pros critique your photos, and a site that is dedicated to bird photogapy (Birds As Art)! I've been taking photos of birds for about a year now. I've got a Canon 30D with a few nice lenses. So far, my bird shots have been made with the 300 f/4 IS with a 1.4 TC. Most of the time, I have trouble getting my shots in focus, but now and then I get one in focus, so I know it can be done. I just purchased the 500 f/4 IS, and I am literally jumping out of my skin to start using it. I got a nice Gitzo tripod and monopod to go with it. I've just received my DB PDF and have ordered more educational stuff from BAA.com. Now I'm ready to put in the time and effort to become a decent bird photographer. Here is my first offering - Oak Titmouse, 300MM f/4 IS - f 4.0, 1/50, ISO 100.

Cheers,

Bruce Gove

Harold Davis
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
welcome, bruce. i dont see the pic. did you hit the upload button in manage attachments?

Bruce Gove
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
The Picture was too big. When I tried to re-send, I was informed that I can only post one thread every 24 hours! I'll upload the image tomorrow...

Bruce Gove

Jim Poor
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
You can click on Edit> Go advanced > Manage attachments to add the image to the original post.

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
You can click on Edit> Go advanced > Manage attachments to add the image to the original post.

..... love when you talk dirty :D:D:D:)

Big Welcome Bruce !!!! Glad you found us !!!!

I like what you are doing Getting and interesting pose with a clean bg Exposure not bad and resonably sharp

Would suggest having more room around the bird Feels tight in frame Also would lighten and sharpen a bit more To get down you could also remove the white on the left of the cage Tends to grab attention Will re post below to give you a comparison btw might also post at max size since it will be easier to judge !!!

Bruce Gove
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
thanks for the tips. I just received my digital basics PDF - don't have too much experience in PS. How do you export a jpeg to be exactly 150K?

Cheers,

Bruce Gove

Jim Poor
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
You pretty much don't get it to be exactly 150K. Plus you have to consider that 150K is really about 145.6K. I shoot for 140 or lower. In PS you go File > Save for Web and then use the optimize to file size option (the little arrow on the right next to the "preset" window.

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Bruce check out Educational Resources Will have all the info !!!!

The PDF will make things clear and simple

JIm is correct I normally have mine set for 140

Bruce Gove
02-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys! I've got a lot of work to do - and this job thing is getting in the way!

Cheers,

Bruce