PDA

View Full Version : Curlew struggle

sulasula
04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
http://www.sulasula.com/images/birdphoto/koliha.jpg

The Whimbrel (not Curlew - thanks Michael) was struggling with dead fish for 20 minutes on the Gambian beach. Finally successfully took the only piece of meat which was interested in and leave the fish alone. Your comments are welcome.

Nikon D200, Nikkor AF-S 300/4, 1/1250s, F 8, ISO 400

PETR BAMBOUSEK | WWW.SULASULA.COM (http://WWW.SULASULA.COM)

Jory Griesman
04-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Beautiful image of this snacking curlew, Petr. Bird is tack sharp, with nice colouring of the feathers. Like the background, but would clean up the brighter elements in the foreground. Might also consider cloning out what I believe are specular highlights in the bill, and a touch of CW rotation. Well done.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Ditto the above comments. Love the sharpness and excellent detail in this image and the wonderful low angle. Many thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Nice feeding bahaviour! Love the pose, you can really sense the pulling and tugging effort. Nice to see a shorebird feeding on something different. Great low angle too! I'm not convinced it needs CW rotation, but the illusion is there with the slanted FG (all of the OOF BG looks straight). I agree with Jory about cleaning some of the brighter elements on the beach, and also the half-circle object between the feet.

Michael Hogan
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Love the shot, the low angle is great with the items in front out of focus. Love the background. Not sure about removing any objects - I think it all adds to the drama of the shot. One thing I might ask - are we looking at a Whimbrel rather than a curlew. The dark strips on the head are very pronounced and much more so that any Curlews in this part of the world

sulasula
04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Michael: You are absolutely right! It is Whimbrel. I am still fighting with English names. Both are "koliha" in Czech language. This is smaller one (koliha malá) = Whimbrel. :-)

christopher galeski
04-16-2010, 05:54 AM
excellant shot sulasula,good low angle,as said tack sharp,like the comp with the dead fish.thanks.

Gyorgy Szimuly
04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Lovely low level image. Like the moment captured. It is not a common way of feeding by Whimbrels.

Szimi