PDA

View Full Version : Pine Warbler

Ryan Schain
04-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Pine Warbler, always one of the first migrants to reach Massachusetts in April.

This is nearly full frame at 400mm, pretty much right at the MFD of 5.9 feet (I love how bold Warblers get with some patience). I sharpened, normal curves/levels adjustments, and selectively brightened the eye a little bit. Does anyone see that gray line that traverses its way down the bird's back? I did not do anything to the background, nor used any levels on this image, so I don't understand where that came from, I looked at the original frame on the camera's LCD, and it's there as well.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4508618079_7cc45762df_b.jpg

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS

1/500
f/6.3
400 mm
ISO 400
+2/3 EV

Randy Stout
04-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Ryan:

You sure did get in close!
Sharp on eye and head. Exposure looks a bit hot on whites of wing, otherwise good.

The main issue for me is the branch just in front of the bill. I can live with the one behind the tail , but the one in front is distracting. I might consider cropping out the dark mass in RUC.

I can see just the faintest gray line where you mentioned, but wouldn't have commented on it if you hadn't mentioned. Not sure of its cause.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Great view of this charming warbler! I love the close MFD of this lens:cool:. I agree with Randy about the branch in front of bill - artistically it should go, if you don't mind doing this type of image manipulation. I would also do some dodging/burning on the bird to even out the light on it (better light angle, or use of fill-flash would have given better results in-camera)

I see what you mean about that line running along the wing/back/neck edge...interesting...