PDA

View Full Version : 7D - AF Point Expansion mode

Lance Warley
04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
When I use this mode (the third choice in C. Fn III - 6 AF Area Selection Mode), the AF points don't light up when I press the shutter halfway and acquire focus lock.

The same thing happens when I choose Single Point AF or Spot AF modes (the last two choices).

The camera is autofocusing for sure, but the points don't turn red like they do on my 40D and 5D II.

Is this the way the 7D is supposed to work?

I understand what each mode does. I'm just wondering about whether the points should light up or not for the last three modes.

Thanks.

Michael Pancier
04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
When I use this mode (the third choice in C. Fn III - 6 AF Area Selection Mode), the AF points don't light up when I press the shutter halfway and acquire focus lock.

The same thing happens when I choose Single Point AF or Spot AF modes (the last two choices).

The camera is autofocusing for sure, but the points don't turn red like they do on my 40D and 5D II.

Is this the way the 7D is supposed to work?

I understand what each mode does. I'm just wondering about whether the points should light up or not for the last three modes.

Thanks.

Are you in AI Servo mode? You will not see them lock in that mode on any EOS camera.

Also they don't turn red, they turn gray in the viewfinder. Also, if you are in AI Servo, to see the active point, you need to press af point select button with your thumb (the first button on the upper right)

Lance Warley
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, in Servo mode.

They light up on the 40D and 5D II when I press the shutter halfway and acquire focus lock.

They don't light up on the 7D.

Colin Knight
04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I think the info you might be looking for is on page 213 of the manual, C.Fn. III-8 and C.Fn. III-10. Have you checked that? It should answer your question.

Lance Warley
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Yea. I have 8 set to Enable (1) and 10 set to Enable (which is the default at 0).

But the AF point don't light up, like they do on my other Canon's.

Michael Pancier
04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Yea. I have 8 set to Enable (1) and 10 set to Enable (which is the default at 0).

But the AF point don't light up, like they do on my other Canon's.

Do your points light up in single shot mode?

Lance Warley
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
In single shot mode, they beep and blink, but they don't light up.

Michael Pancier
04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Lance, do you have C.FnIII 10 enabled? Which is focus display in Ai/Servo/MF? I do and yes I see the center point in black enabled at all times in AI Servo, but not just when it locks. I also have mine on the cross sensor expansion.

I also have C.FnIII 3 Ai Servo AF tracking method set on 1, continuous af track priority.

hope this helps

arash_hazeghi
04-14-2010, 10:39 PM
In single shot mode, they beep and blink, but they don't light up.

Lance what do you mean by "light up" ?

In Ai servo mode with expansion, the center of expansion will be show as a large black square and the expansion points will be shown with small black squares, nothing will blink, beep or change color and that is normal.

best

Lance Warley
04-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Mike, I do have 10 enabled.

Arash, that's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks very much, guys.