PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer

Andrew Merwin
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Mrk 3, ISO 400, f/5, 180mm, .67 ev, 1/500, AV

I shot this just after sunset in deep shade. It is sharpened & about a 20% crop. I like that the deer is looking at something other than me as most images of deer have the deer looking directly at the photographer.

Harshad Barve
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
beautiful image , liked the looks on face of deer
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
04-15-2010, 03:45 AM
I agree. It is good that the deer is not looking at the photographer like all other shots. Some more space at the bottom would have been nice, as the leg appears to be cutoff. What is the vertical white marks on the nose? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
04-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi Andrew

I think you know what I will say.:) I assume its the 500? If so, in shade go to f/4 helps shutter speed, why f/5?
Also is it + or - 2/3 comp I think its + judging on the time of day? If there was more room for the legs then this would have be on the right track, you know what I am saying.;)

TFS
Steve

peter delaney
04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Andrew

Good effort but I am afraid the cutting off of legs spoils the image.. be a little more careful when in the field to your settings.. 1/500 is cutting it a bit fine with shutter speed ,agree with steve , why f5 , f4 will blur BKG more and give you extra SS...

It is easy to get carried away when shooting and not pay attention to what is going on in viewfinder... my advice take a quick shot then when you are happy you have not missed the shot.. recompose , check viewfinder ,BKG,FG ,branches , grasses, anything thta is taking way from the subject so you can edit in viewfinder rather than at home on computer..

thanks for sharing

Andrew Merwin
04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Sabyasachi, I think the white marks on the nose are reflecting light off her wet nose.

Steve, I used the 100-400 @ 180; it is +.67. I agree re. the legs, but they were hidden in the grass. I cropped from the left side only.

Thanks Peter. Good suggestions & similar to what Steve suggests.

Thanks for your observations & suggestions—they are appreciated.

Andrew