View Full Version : Milky Way

Stephen Earle
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM
7D
ISO 1000
F 3.5
20s
Canon 10-22

I'm not a landscape photographer but I recently aquired a wide angle lens and quite enjoy spending time making night scenes in the wild places the birds draw me to. I used flash to light the foreground.

All advice welcomed

Bob Miller
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Stephen...I like this alot and would like more details as to how you did this. Exactly what kind of flash? Any other details? For my tastes the gold expanse of land in the lower right distracts too much from the mood of the photo. Great work!

Roman Kurywczak
04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey Stephen,
Agree with Bob on the brightness on the right.....be careful with the flash......I find painting at night much easier with a flashlight on the night exposures. I would also go to 30 seconds....any movement is impercievable at best and will give you a bit of extra light. You may also push the 7D to ISO 1600....yes you get noise but at that ISO it should be managable. Not bad for a first attempt at night landscapes! I like where you placed the tree and how you used it to mimic the milky way. Night photography can be addictive!

Dave Mills
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Stephen, I like how the tree and bushes are lit but agree that the lower right is a bit distracting. Painting is easier with a flashlight and Roman has alot of experience in this area....

Morkel Erasmus
04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Stephen - welcome to landscapes :)
I agree with the comments above, but love how you captured the milky way. I also recently started dabbling in night shots. It might be me but it looks like you had some spots on the lens?