PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Looking At

Gus Cobos
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
This majestic creature of the pond resides in Crandon Gardens. It was painted with a Nikon D70s using a Nikkor 300mm f/4D with a 1.4 T/C, bringing the focal length to 420mm. ISO-250, aperture priority, matrix metering, exposure comp. set to 0EV, and shot at 1/800 sec - f/5.6, WB set to auto.
Comments greatly appreciated.

Gus Cobos...:D

Harold Davis
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
nice capture, gus. i'd try brightening the face and neck a little and add some NR to the BG. i might would add some canvas to the right just enough maybe a bit more of the ripples. or not. i'm kinda torn on that point. interesting to see what the others say.

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Totally agree with Harold !!!!! Made all suggested changes

Gus the corp is interesting but you do need more room Going tight is fine but there are certain "rules" sort of If the bird is looking out of the frame you generally need some room in that direction Also this image was well exposed but the dynamic range was at the edge of what the camera could capture You did real good on exposure I used the mid tone slider to lighten Let me know what you think !!!

Robert O'Toole
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Excellent Job Alfred. I really like the repost. Much more clean whites and NR work looks very smooth.

Robert

Harold Davis
02-28-2008, 05:40 AM
nice job alfred. how did you expose the blacks without them turning to mush? did you do it separately or just lighten the entire image?

thanks

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Harold on this one was fairly easy The histogram was good and full Just moved the mid tone slider affecting the mid tones then tweaked with curves if you move the eye dropper over the image a dot will move up and down the curve slope Place the dropper over the tones you want to work one Anchor up and down from that point then just move curve slightly

Nonda Surratt
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Wonderful fix Alfred. A very nice image to work with.

Gus Cobos
02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey Al,
Thank you for the fix; it looks much better than the original. I was trying to get a wider frame, but was having problems with this little guy; he was moving all over the place.

Sincerely ,

Gus