PDA

View Full Version : dunescape

peter delaney
04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I desaturated the sky as I did not like the cyan/blue colour on RHS. No sharpening applied

Nikon D3 50mm lens . f8 @ 1/300 , iso 200, hand held

Robert Amoruso
04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I like the two opposing diagonals of the dune vs. the clouds. Desaturating the sky made the image very monotone which I feel works well here. The sun-drenched sand on the right: I would try to reduce its brightness some.

Kobus Tollig
04-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Ditto Robert on the rhs. Still really nice pleasing image

Dave Mills
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Peter,Agree with Robert's points except I don't feel the sky is strong enough to carry that percentage of the image. The whitish area on the upper left is also pulling my eye to it...

Roman Kurywczak
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Peter,
Yet another slightly different opinion....I agree with the lighter area on the right....I slighly toned it down but you may have to go back to the raw file to get it all the way back. I then lightened the area of the dune below it to match the rest of the dune.....and patched out some of the slides at the bottom edge of frame. I know you really aren't into that and I would be ok with leaving them in.....just wanted to go all the way for comparison sake.....I then selected the sky and did a selective color layer....adding blacks to both the neutral and black channel and taking black away in the white channel......this added some more depth and strength to the sky as both Dave and I were looking for. I finally smoothed out the edges of the larger white cloud on the left using the patch tool....again....you could also blur it or leave it....just wanted to add the final touch for me. Overall very nicely composed and you did well with the pano crop as it accentuates the flow of the dunes and sky. Very minor tweaks I did and as always.....just to show a different perspective for you to try out! Let me know your thoughts.

Morkel Erasmus
04-14-2010, 04:56 PM
like the monotone feel and the lines Peter...was this in the Namib - and where?

Dave Mills
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Roman's repost gave the sky a bit more pop....