PDA

View Full Version : Herring Run

Myer Bornstein
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
The alewives are coming up from the sea to breed in fresh water. This picture was taken with a Nikon D300 and a 18-105 lens with a polarizing filter. They fish swim around very fast getting ready to leap up the small falls. there is still a large amount of water coming down due to the heavy rains. Adjusted in PS with NIK filters
18-105mm @ 75mm
112mm (in 35mm film)
1/200 sec, f/6.3
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1/3
ISO: 800
AF mode: AF-S
White balance: COOL

Tom Graham
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Sure is interesting color. The bubbles and ice edges/cover (?) distract and confuse me. I would like it better I think without those. And maybe with simply one fish, the big one, in image. Tough image to comment on, it seems to be unique, almost abstract, and have potential but how to maximize it? Hmm, thinking again, maybe the bubbles are necessary to show that there is water?
Tom

Myer Bornstein
04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
This is the time of year when hundreds of Herring (alewife) come to spawn. cannot isolate a single fish. this was taken at the foot of small -about 3 foot high falls on the river which is flowing extremely fast so you get bubbles and interesting current features

Harshad Barve
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
beatiful picture Myer , loved the way you have framed this
TFS

Alfred Forns
04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I think its a different and high impact image Myer !! I like how you got the fish well position in frame, must be chaotic and they move fast !! Type image you just need to keep shooting for one keeper !! Excellent idea !!

Sabyasachi Patra
04-13-2010, 02:13 AM
I think increasing the brightness would strengthen this image. Some more space at the bottom would be good as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
04-13-2010, 02:14 AM
I think increasing the brightness would strengthen this image. Some more space at the bottom would be good as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
04-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Not to sure about this, for me it is a little too confusing, but I have no idea what you can do about this.

Maybe Sabyaschi's suggestion to add a little more brightness may open up the image.