PDA

View Full Version : Gulls storm-troopers

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
This is another image of the gulls-after-scoot sequence (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=40219#post40219) taken at Kerkini lake, Greece.

Though the light conditions were steady, I prefered to shoot at AV mode to avoid accidental burn outs of the white wings of the gulls with the manual mode. Yet I was able to keep nice 1/2000sec to fix the water splashes. The other data goes f7.1, ISO 400, canon 40D + 300mm f/4 and weak contrast on the standart camera profile.

PP: multiple clone outs of bubbles in the BG, which look like a huge dust spots; repaired wing, levels, S/H and USM.

Larger 1024 px image is available here > (http://www.all4mypics.com/albums/userpics/10001/liska1024_5570-1.jpg)

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I find these type images so difficult to make them work Even a little This I like You managed some good head angles got a couple with open beak and the coot is really motoring !!!!

Would remove the spots in between the two gulls and wish you could lighten the coot's head just a tad I know you need ideal conditions for any detail !!! For presentation would add some canvas at the bottom and a tad at the top !!!

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I really like the action,nice work Nikolay!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I really like the interaction and brave little coot. I agree on removing the spots between the gulls on the right.

David Chauvin
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Great job of getting all the players in the plane of focus! A little canvas added to the bottom (if you're agreeable to doing such a thing) would balance this out nicely.

Arthur Morris
02-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Fantastic job on the three gulls but the coot is not as spectacular as in the first one that you posted. And yes to a bit of canvas at the top.

later and love, artie

Travis Novitsky
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
What a capture, Nikolay! I like the position of the birds in chase, and the coot certainly looks like he is trying with all his might to get away! It's too bad that the wing-tip on top is cut off, but that should be easy enough to fix.