PDA

View Full Version : Mists rolling through the Mara

Hilary Hann
04-12-2010, 07:07 AM
On this early morning drive the mists rolled down the Siria escarpment giving a different feel to the Masai Mara.
7D; EF 70-200mm @ 160mm; f19; 1/125; ISO400
All C&C welcomed.

Dave Mills
04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Hilary, This image was composed very nicely and well thought out.The cropping is also well handled with just enough of a base and no more sky than is necessary. The lighting is soft and pleasing. The blank area of the sky does appear to have noise or an unatural look(color is OK but a type of blotchiness) Overall a good job on this...

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Hilary,
Agree with Dave that you composed this nicely. In the ideal world you would get more seperation in the trees....but it does flow nicely with the fog/clouds behind them. The sky on the LH side appears a touch noisy.....not sure why at ISO 400....but you may want to run a touch of NR just on it. I have debated a bit of contrast boost....but decided I like the way the mountain fades into the mist. Nicely done!

Kobus Tollig
04-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Ditto Dave here. Really nice shot but noise is a problem

Morkel Erasmus
04-13-2010, 04:21 AM
agree on the comments - lovely scene but for me it's lacking fine sharpness and detail?

Hilary Hann
04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll go back and have a look at the raw file. I thought I ran Noise ninja but can't remember. Maybe I'll reprocess it and see what I come up with.

David Thomasson
04-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Nicely composed image. In addition to the noise, there's a slight red cast you might address. I agree with Mork that the finer
details could use a little sharpening. I used Topaz Detail, just for the trees and foreground at bottom. Also used a gradient to
preserver the darker luminance at the top of the frame so the eye is pulled more to the bottom.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1036/misty.gif

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4043/mistyl.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
As usual David.....nice job and explanation on the rework!

Hilary Hann
04-18-2010, 04:27 AM
David, I love your re-work and thanks for the explanation. I've downloaded Topaz trial but find it won't work unless I have an intel processor. I may have to use my husband's newer Mac to use Topaz on my pix but that may be unworkable. :(

Not sure how long before I upgrade as my dual processor G5 is working well.

You've turned an ordinary image into something I really like … thanks.
Hilary

David Thomasson
04-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I've downloaded Topaz trial but find it won't work unless I have an intel processor. I may have to use my husband's newer Mac to use Topaz on my pix but that may be unworkable. :(

Bummer. I noticed this on the Topaz site: "Intel-based Mac OS 10.4-10.6. PowerPC processors like G4 or G5 are not supported."
You might contact their customer support to find out what you need.

Tom Graham
04-18-2010, 02:48 PM
-Wow- David another great bit of work by you. I really like how the trees and grass pop. And gradient from top.
Everyone doing landscape must read Ansel Adams book "The Print". Of course he's discussing prints but very applicable for any type of viewed image.
Tom

David Thomasson
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
-Wow- David another great bit of work by you. I really like how the trees and grass pop. And gradient from top.
Everyone doing landscape must read Ansel Adams book "The Print". Of course he's discussing prints but very applicable for any type of viewed image.
Tom

Thanks for that tip, Tom. I just placed a hold on it at the library.

Hilary Hann
04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Agree Tom, we have a complete set of Ansel Adams books but I rarely remember to dig them out and re-read them.