PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher - Rufous Back

Phil Liew
04-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted. Been busy with work etc etc. However, over the weekend I managed to use my new 1D Mk4 in anger and come away with some snaps of this little gem. This was taken under full canopy cover that is the way things are in the equatorial belt. No flash used simply because it changes the hue and tinge of the feathers. The bg is a touch busy but I could not find a spot to fit with a better bg without disturbing the bird

1D Mk4 + EF800mm 1/30s f/8.0 ISO800 EV 0 No flash.
http://www.pbase.com/996sps/image/123534279.jpg

arash_hazeghi
04-12-2010, 05:32 AM
what a beautiful bird and great saturated colors, the bird is so unique. Harshad posted some photos of this magnificent specie, looks like plumage varies by region. nice shot, it appears a bit soft, maybe due to slow SS, I would have cranked up the ISO to get faster ss.

TFS

Nick Palmieri
04-12-2010, 06:01 AM
I really like the contrast of the bird and the BG. Agree it may be a little soft. Cool looking bird and nice composition.

marco peschiera
04-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Please ignore my consideration of0 f5.6 why for sure you need f8 for deaph of field.
But try to use iso 1600.

I have a markIV and 500mm and at iso 1600 is not bad...

Phil Liew
04-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your comments.

Please check out the link for the above in pbase, as you can see for some reason the picture is softer after linking it directly here.
http://www.pbase.com/996sps/image/123534279

Harshad Barve
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Phil
Such a beautiful bird this is and I am fully agreed with comments above. BTW your pbase image looks sharper to me.
I think colors and plumage varies from region to region , Pl check this link , you will find various images I have created of this little beauty , I think bird in our area is more electric ;)
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56080

TFS

Troy Lim
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Phil,
Nice shot. Pretty bird and BG.
Next time I am home, we need to go shoot. You can teach me on how to take pics of KF.

Phil Liew
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Harshad - Yours is of the Oriental Dwarf KF (Black-backed) - Ceyx erithacus. I have here the close cousin Ceyx rufidorsa (rufous backed). Having said that even amongst the sub-species that I have shot their colours vary from region to region within Malaysia. Not the easiest of birds to spot being only 13 cm in length and can be skittish when out of the breeding season. This is one of a pair feeding chicks. As for being more "electric" well perhaps the use of flash, even fill flash however minute can change the tinge and hues of the colours. In short I do not use it.

Troy - yep, hope to meet up when you are back next.

Harshad Barve
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
As for being more "electric" well perhaps the use of flash, even fill flash however minute can change the tinge and hues of the colours. In short I do not use it.

Respectfuly , FYI , I never use flash :):) , BTW interested in trading Rufous back ODKF to black backed ;)

Troy Lim
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Harshad - Yours is of the Oriental Dwarf KF (Black-backed) - Ceyx erithacus. I have here the close cousin Ceyx rufidorsa (rufous backed). Having said that even amongst the sub-species that I have shot their colours vary from region to region within Malaysia. Not the easiest of birds to spot being only 13 cm in length and can be skittish when out of the breeding season. This is one of a pair feeding chicks. As for being more "electric" well perhaps the use of flash, even fill flash however minute can change the tinge and hues of the colours. In short I do not use it.

Troy - yep, hope to meet up when you are back next.

Liew, deal! Earliest is probably next year. ;)

Phil Liew
04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Harshad - I have no issues with fill flash being used at all and will not hesitate to use it if needed, neither would I take the moral high ground on those who do. There is merit in its use. This particular bird can look so different with respect to colours when fill flash is used.

Recently it has become more apparent to me that some birds under canopy have the colours of their feathers "altered" with the use of flash and now I try to shoot without it. Hence at times my shutter speed is so low and many wonder why. It would be easier to explain if one has shot in areas that is the norm. Still a sharp image can be had with techniques and patience in testing them out in the field or should I say jungle. Yes, with the higher ISO capabilities of new gear I can get better shutter speeds.

Ofer Levy
04-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Lovely shot of this stunner! Sharpness looks fine to me.

Phil Liew
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted. Been busy with work etc etc. However, over the weekend I managed to use my new 1D Mk4 in anger and come away with some snaps of this little gem. This was taken under full canopy cover that is the way things are in the equatorial belt. No flash used simply because it changes the hue and tinge of the feathers. The bg is a touch busy but I could not find a spot to fit with a better bg without disturbing the bird

1D Mk4 + EF800mm 1/30s f/8.0 ISO800 EV 0 No flash.
http://www.pbase.com/996sps/image/123534279.jpg

I have just re-set the size of the photo as was posted in pbase. It does change the sharpness and reduces the saturation of the colours a touch. This looks heaps nearer to what I see on my editing screen.

http://www.pbase.com/996sps/image/123534279/original.jpg

Hendri Venter
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
It must be the most beautiful KF around and such a lovely image of it too.