PDA

View Full Version : Thomisidae Thomisus blandus

Charissa
04-12-2010, 02:21 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ir9err.jpg

Found this big crab spider on the beach, in some vegetation. Biggest one i have ever seen, crabbie and spider alike. About 5cm in diameter, and much to big for the MPE to get in fully, unless the legs are tucked in.
Cropped about 2mm from the left side and top.
Spot healed about a dozen sensor dust spots, cloned a reflective area underneath the spider, and sharpened a bit after resized.
MPE , ISO of 100, ss of 250, f16. I re located the spider to a leave a bit higher up, just to get out of the sand with the camera and lens. Lucky for me it was slow and sluggish.:D
All comments and crits welcome.:)

Mike Moats
04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey Charissa, very cool critter, good details on the face, and like the position and crop.

Jerry van Dijk
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Charissa, awesome spider again. Very nice details captured. I like the diagonal position of the spider. Wish you had chosen a more even perch, my attention is drawn away from the spider by the hole in the perch.

Ken Childs
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Lovely creature and capture. If you haven't tried it already, some selective sharpening on those front legs might make this even better.

Julie Kenward
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Such a great pose, Charissa! Is the body really that metallic? That's amazing! I also would suggest a little more selective sharpening on those front legs and I'm fine with the perch - I like that his legs are dangling over the edge.

There's a small bump on the backside of the OOF leaf on the left - I'd suggest cloning that so your eye isn't drawn to trying to figure out what the heck it is...just smooth it over to look like the rest of the edge and you should be fine - simple fix.

Charissa
04-15-2010, 05:12 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2iub1cn.jpg

Thanks everyone for input, appreciate.
Julie, i did what u suggested, but the sharpening of the front legs seems a bit extreme. How would u suggest i do it, as i am not sure which process would be more natural in Photoshop. I used the sharpened tool.
Yes, this is the color of the spider, shined a bit in direct sun light, but a more muted shining than metallic.
Thanks for your help, do appreciate it, and so far, u had wonderful suggestions for me.
Charissa

Julie Kenward
04-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Charissa, you might try using the high pass filter and see if you like that effect. It tends to give a more natural looking sharpness.

If you aren't sure how to use it, create a layer then open filter/other/high pass. Everything will go gray. Look at the lighter halo around everything - you want that to barely show in most cases. Adjust the settings and then change the layer to soft light mode and see what you think. You can then go back in and tweak it a bit if you like. When finished, add a layer mask and erase anything that became overly sharpened with a brush tool/black BG.

Vida van der Walt
04-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Lovely spider and great shot Charissa. Love the angle, detail and comp. I'm going to try the sharpening method that Jules suggested on my images. Always something new to learn.

Charissa
04-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks Julie and Vida. As u said Vida, always something new to learn, luckily. How soon will we get bored, if all the shots turn out perfectly every single time we press the shutter release..... ; - ))