PDA

View Full Version : Royal Terns at Ft. DeSoto

Anne Bellenger
01-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Canon 10D, 100-400L IS lens, handheld, other info missing.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi Anne, Good to see you here. Not many of us locals here <smile> The good news is that you are out there with your digital camera and a quality lens. You do, however, have lots to learn. The interaction of the two terns in the front is a plus. The J-PEG could and should be much larger for easier viewing. 750 pixels on the long side (at less than 150kb) is the norm. The easiest way to have had a chance to make a good image would to have gotten as low as possible. This would have cleaned up the background and some of the debris on the beach and would have allowed you to have gotten much closer to your subjects. The light is harsh. Best to work on cloudy days or to get up earlier. There are merges where many of the birds overlap each other, and aside from the two birds up front, all the birds are looking away from you. Trying to isolate your subjects will eliminate many of these problems.

Hope that you found my comments helpful. Later and love, artie

Maxis Gamez
01-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Hello Anne and welcome!

I have to agree with Arties's comments. I would also suggest a lower angle.

Anne Bellenger
01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I wish I could get down lower but I'm physically handicapped. I understand what you are saying though. Maybe I'll see if the old right angle viewer will work on a 1DMkIIN. <g>
Thanks.

Anne Bellenger
01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Artie. Yes, comments very helpful. My original has 500 pixels on the long side and couldn't get the site to accept it. Sometimes I see a scene or action and just snap away without setting it up. Not good.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Again Anne, Once you have sized the image to 750 pixels hit Save for Web. When the box comes up, there iare two little arrows above the word "Optimize." Click on the arrows and then select "Optimize To." When that box opens up type 150 in the box and hit OK. Then follow the rest of the instructions and save it in the proper file. (I think that more detailed instructions are in either ABP II or in Digital Basics and I know that you own at least one of those).

later and love, artie

George DeCamp
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Anne!

Looks like Artie and Maxis beat me to the punch. You got good info from them but on the wide angle viewer I know a few folks who use them successfully to do exactly what you may need. Last time out at Jamaica Bay a buddy got himself some wonderful images using his. He was able to sit on a low stool and use it on his Nikon, I imagine the same could be done with the MKIIn.

Keep em coming and let us know how we can help you with some more questions.

Judd Patterson
01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Welcome Anne! I agree that you have a great subject in the two interacting Royal Terns. Fewer distractions and a bit better light would help, but it takes time to hone our technique and to find the right conditions. Hope to see more of your postings soon.

James Shadle
01-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Anne,
Welcome to BPN.

While the areas that could be improved have been covered. And I agree with them.

I would like to see a larger image, but it looks like you sure don't have a problem creating a sharp image!

Sharpness means so much. Mix that with some of the other suggestions and Cover Image here you come!

Keep at the craft and keep posting.

Thanks for being here.

James