PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual Venice Rookery Bird

Randy Stout
04-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Good day all:

Was at the Venice Rookery last week, and had fun with the usual suspects. It was a cool and increasingly cloudy day, so packed up to leave. As I was driving out, several people were standing under the large trees on the right side of the road, just before the highway patrol post. Naturally, I hopped out to check it out. There was a great horned owl sitting up about 40'. I grabbed the camera, tripod and flash and set up. Took a while to get a clean shot, but he eventually flew to a near by tree and sat in a crotch, so I could see more of him, with not too much in the way.
And, he had a snack! I watched for about 20 minutes as he would pick it up, nibble a bit, and then put it back down.

The light was very dim, he was in complete shade, and a long way away. Considering all that, I am pretty happy, as this was my first wild GHO. I have other shots with him looking down more, but the prey wasn't as well displayed, so went with this one.

Nikon 700 with 500mm f/4 TC 17 (effective focal length 850mm) SB800 manual exposure 1/200s at f/6.7 ISO 640

Advice always appreciated. Curious what you think about the fill flash balance.

Troy Lim
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Randy,

I never had any luck getting the pair out. A month ago, one was sitting tight with the babies on the cell tower. ;)
Flash worked, brought out the details. Great catch with the feet hanging. ;)

Don Anderson
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Love it.. busy but you captured a moment. I'm watching a couple nesting
gHOwls, but so far no babies showing. Both are a long ways off and high.
So likely won't get any shots..