PDA

View Full Version : Sassy Tulip

Barbara Kile
04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
This tulip plant has provided me with so much fun the last week. I loved the soft colors and the ruffles and curls. After a while this variety gets 'top-heavy' and they lean over. However, even in this posture, they are still lovely!
This one has personality and I love the sassy little curl.
Lensbaby Composer, Soft Focus Optic, macro 4x lens. No post processing.

Dave Woeller
04-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Absolutely beautiful image Barbara. I haven't tried working with a Lensbaby yet, and you seem to have mastered it. Love the tones and yes the lttle curl puts it over the top.
Regards

Cheryl Flory
04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
wow!
you are right, the curl makes it. I also like the details added with the green and the shadows

Barbara Kile
04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you Dave and Cheryl!

Alan Melle
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
This is quite excellent! Wonderful composition, great light, and beautiful use of DOF. A well executed image!

Stuart Frohm
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Exquisite!
Thanks very much for posting this.
The curl at the image's left is a nice pairing with the larger curl at right.
I might be tempted to experiment with adjusting the color below that larger curl to see if removing a bit of the light brown creates an even more pleasing image.

Barbara Kile
04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Alan and Stuart! I could probably use a bit of Viveza to brighten that area under the curl, Stuart. That might help quite a bit. Thanks!

Julie Kenward
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Mmm. mmm. GREAT! Oh my goodness this is lovely! Don't you get excited when everything works? I normally don't like the upside down angle but I have to say you've made me reconsider it with this image. That curly cue petal steals the show!

No pp? Amazing. Can you tell us a bit about how you lit this? Natural light from a window or outside? It's beautiful!

Barbara Kile
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Jules. Most of the 'upside down' angles are of flowers in their decline, and I don't prefer that either, but his one was just 'top heavy.' :D

One nice thing about Lensbaby images is that they require little post processing, so what you see is what you get. This was natural light near a window. I can't recall if I bounced a bit of light in or not, but I don't think I did. It's too windy where I live to photograph outside much - so that's why I have a macro studio.
:)

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Gorgeous!!!! Love everything about this image--subject, crop, composition, curls, light, colors. Well done! It is (almost) enough to get me to buy a lens baby!

Barbara Kile
04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks, 'soon to be Longwood buddy!'
C'mon, Anita - get you one! Kathleen Clemons and Tony Sweet both teach a 4 week online LB class, so that will help you get started - plus the online tutorials, etc.

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks, 'soon to be Longwood buddy!'
C'mon, Anita - get you one! Kathleen Clemons and Tony Sweet both teach a 4 week online LB class, so that will help you get started - plus the online tutorials, etc.
Did you take one of the on line courses? If so, which one? I'm going to wait and see what images Jules comes up with using her new lens baby.

Barbara Kile
04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Took Tony's a couple of years ago, but would recommend either one. John Barclay does LB sessions at LWG, and I really hope you can meet John when I'm up there. He lives in Chalfont and frequents LWG. We'll hook you 2 up one way or another. :D