PDA

View Full Version : Grape hyacinth

Jerry van Dijk
04-09-2010, 06:33 AM
I hope this shows up. There seem to be problems with images showing, but I can view the most recent post again.
This is one of the Grape hyacinths (Muscari spec.) my wife bought to celebrate spring (which until a day ago seemed to be absent). Shot with natural light through the window. BG is my piano. Full frame image.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 21 mm (126 mm eq.), Suntec 4+ closeup lens, ISO-100, F/8, 1/125 s, pattern metering, aperture priority, EC -1.3.
RAW editing in Silkypix, PP in Corel Photopaint 12. Adjusted exposure, WB and sharpened.<O:p></O:p>

Stuart Frohm
04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Beautiful image! Nice diagonal.
Although some people don't like black backgrounds, I do.
Thanks very much for posting this.

Cheryl Flory
04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
agree--very nice diagonal line, especially with the curve at the top.
did you try some reflected light or very soft fill light on the left to reduce some of the harsh shadows?

I also like how you choose a stem with blossom all in good condition and have some which haven't opened yet.

Jerry van Dijk
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi all, thanks for looking. Cheryl, the harsh shadows are kind of on purpose. The idea was to have one brightly lit side, gradually darkening to the left to blend in with the black BG, to accentuate the sidelight and to add a bit of a 3D feel.

Julie Kenward
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I like it! Very dramatic and I agree that you chose a perfect blossom to photograph. You get a one-two punch out of that diagonal line and the curve of the plant - if I were a bug I'd be pretty intimidated to climb to the top of this little flower!

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
I love Grape Hyacinths (well, I love most flowers). Beautiful light and sharpness. I love the low angle you chose--makes this little flower look imposing. Black BG works really well.