PDA

View Full Version : Little Bee-eater

Tom Graham
04-09-2010, 04:09 AM
My firsts posting on BPN so this a test, a throw away photo, to learn how to do it.
Image/jpg link is to smugmug, will it appear?
http://tomgraham.smugmug.com/SAFARI-2009/SAFARI2009/Little-Bee-eater-1633/674308798_9BH2s-L.jpg

Little Bee-eater
Taken at Kirkmans Kamp in South Africa, Sep 2009.
Camera Nikon D200 with 70-300 zoom. Much cropping because it is a small bird, even though we were about 10 meters from it. It posed nicely for us. I like to try and get -one- decent bird photo on each safari and this was it. Lot of photos of lions, leopards, elephants and stuff like that :)
Anyway, going to hit the "preview post" now -
Looks promising, I see image in preview window where I want it and this text!!! My lucky day!!!
Well, but still have to see if it actually posts like I want it too, me of little faith :)
Tom
ps - oh, and C&C welcome

Lance Peters
04-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi Tom - I have edited your post - The image was not appearing - you put a http link in - you need to use the INSERT IMAGE and paste the link into that window.
Big warm welcome to the BPN family - do not hesitate to jump right in and comment on other peoples images - all we ask is you say what you like or dont like about the image - Best way to learn.
Also do please post your full shooting info including Shutter Speed, Aperture etc etc - will help everyone help you and learn also.

Nice first post - lots to like here - HA looks good, Good eye contact - Nice light and Sharp!!!
Bg looks great - would be tempted to remove the branch above the bird and might try a different crop - bird is just a little too centred in the frame for my personal tastes.
Like it a lot and look forward to seeing more :)

Tom Graham
04-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks Lance.
My image appeared ok in preview. It also appeared for me as soon as I posted and checked on it. I did use the INSERT IMAGE icon (mountain scene) and pasted the smugmug link into its little bar-window. No??? So, I'm puzzled, I will try again after a day. BTW, I'm also having problems viewing other images here. Some come up, some don't. Pattern seems to be "members" images I don't see, but, images with link to other sites I do see. Using Firefox 3.6. Wrong setting in it?

Know what you say about branch above, could be cloned out in 30 secs. But I like it because it adds a little "environment" to the photo, not a pure sterile background. Would be easy to do different crop because original was much larger image. Threw out at least half of it, and was happy to see the sharpness was still ok, (maybe not great).

Tom

Lance Peters
04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks Lance.
My image appeared ok in preview. It also appeared for me as soon as I posted and checked on it. I did use the INSERT IMAGE icon (mountain scene) and pasted the smugmug link into its little bar-window. No??? So, I'm puzzled, I will try again after a day. BTW, I'm also having problems viewing other images here. Some come up, some don't. Pattern seems to be "members" images I don't see, but, images with link to other sites I do see. Using Firefox 3.6. Wrong setting in it?

Know what you say about branch above, could be cloned out in 30 secs. But I like it because it adds a little "environment" to the photo, not a pure sterile background. Would be easy to do different crop because original was much larger image. Threw out at least half of it, and was happy to see the sharpness was still ok, (maybe not great).

Tom

The forum had some difficulties yesterday - some posts are still missing images at this point in time - the problem is being worked on.

Tom Graham
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
If the forum or BPN is having "technical difficulties", it would be nice to see a notice of that somewhere. (Or is that such a common occurrence that everybody expects it??) Would help at least new members like myself heads from exploding trying to figure out what they may be doing wrong.
Tom

Alfred Forns
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Tom Will come back to this one Looks like a beauty from the thumbnail

I'm sure the problem is on our side and you are correct a notice to the problem should have been posted. From what I was told by the tech people we were fine as far as posting and viewing images, it is just some of the older ones they are restoring. Also finding some corrupted flies which are slowing things down. All had to do with the sever software.

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Don't see it, probably lost in crash. FWIW, here is image repost -
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/c1e805c2cebcb949f61ad2f5e0d284d86g.jpg

thanks - Tom

Harshad Barve
04-17-2010, 02:08 AM
nice pose , terrific BG and look back pose , Though I do not support cloning but if your ethiques permits , I suggest you to get rid of branch over the head of bird
TFS

Tom Graham
04-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks HB.
I do support cloning, one of my favorite PS activities :) . You agree with Lance about the branch. And I thought about taking it out, easy. But since the bird is sitting on same type of branch I think it adds a little to the environment. You know, sometimes I think this trend, (may I call it a trend?) that bird photos have a marshmallow/cotton soft BG becomes boring. YIKES!!! I'd better be very careful what I say here on BPN!!!! :)

Tom
ps - in support of my BG "trend" postulation, check out the famous artist John Audubon. See his BGs.

peter delaney
04-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Hi Tom
welcome to forum.
Lovely image , could do with another round of sharpening.

You will find the majority of photographers will agree with you about showing a subject in its environment whenever possible.

but there is a reason why we like to have clean BKG and that is oof branches, leaves, twigs can detract from an image as is the case in this image...

i do not think that one oof twig in this instance can be considered to show this birds environment.

TFS
peter