PDA

View Full Version : High Key Coyote or Coy-Dog?

Stephen Stephen
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Last Sunday three photographer friends and I visited Wolfe Island, Ontario in hopes to see some Short-eared owls. We didn't see any but we did photograph Ring-neck Pheasants, Snowy owls, Rough-legged hawks and other birds.

While on the ferry we saw this coyote on frozen Lake Ontario standing just beside the semi-frozen ferry channel. It was obvious that this animal wanted to cross the channel and was looking for an easy passage. It finally left the edge of the ice as we approached.

I'm calling it a coyote but it could have been a coyote-domestic dog cross.

The lighting was terrible because the image was taken at 1:00 p.m. however I like the high-key lighting and the over the shoulder look. I left the animal inthe centre of the image to include the whole shadow.

Rebel XT with Sigma 50-500mm @500, ISO 400, F 8, 1/1600 sec. Cropped to ~60% of full frame.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Mammals/Coyote_rework-1.jpg

D. Robert Franz
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Nice framing on the image. The foot up is a bonus and the look back is great. Might like a bit of a crop on the right side of the frame or a bit tigher overall to put the eye on the upper left PP. As for what this is it sure looks much different than the coyote we have out here... The nose is really quite different than out coyotes. I would say it's a cross. How big was it?

Fabs Forns
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Good looking animal, whatever it may be. It could use a little ore sharpening all over. I see why you left room on the right, to include the full shadow.

Stephen Stephen
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you Robert and Fabs.

Robert it was difficult to tell its size since there was nothing on the ice to compare it to. My best guess would be to sat that it was about the size of a small Labrador dog. the information that I have says that Ontario coyotes can range from 36-60 lbs.

Also there has been speculation that many of the coyotes in eastern and southeastern Ontario are not ‘pure’ coyotes, but rather coyote-wolf hybrids (especially hybrids with the red wolf).

Steve Canuel
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
The muzzle looks a bit stout and more wolf-like than coyote. I'd say more coy-wolf mix than coy-dog. I like the pose and the open, isolated look of the pic.
Steve

Robert Amoruso
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I like the composition but think more contrast is in order.

Jasper Doest
02-29-2008, 03:50 AM
I'd give the animal a bit more contrast and space to look into....Good thinking regarding the shadows. The lift foot and the shadow really make this one for me. Well done!

Stephen Stephen
02-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Thank you Steve, Robert and Jasper. Here's a modified version following your suggestions: Selective sharpening of head. increased contrast and more room on left side.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Mammals/Coyote_08_02b.jpg

Bill McCrystyn
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
What a differance a day makes. That definetly took it up a notch - or two perhaps. Nice shot.Interesting animal.

Daniel Cadieux
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
It was great seeing this animal, Stephen. Our shots look almost identical!! Being "stranded" on the moving ferry there was not much we could do in regards to light direction, but this still turned out great!