PDA

View Full Version : house finch

Sidharth Kodikal
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
My first attempt at a set up.
It sounded so simple when I was reading about it :)
When one finally took mercy and landed on my perch for a second the beautiful light had already gone and light was pretty low.

Canon 50D + 300 f2.8 + 2xTC
Manual, 1/400, f7.1, Flash -2/3 ev, iso 200
+0.5 ev in DPP.

Lesson learnt:
- Get a less crowded perch, preferrably with flowers that aren't wilted.
- Find a better way to attract them to the perch than just putting seeds out for them.

I see a lot of great "set up" pics on this forum. Any tips will be appreciated.

EDIT: I wrote house finch, but I'm not sure what this is. An American Tree Sparrow?

Hilary Hann
04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Well done Sidharth, I've had no luck so far with set up shots. My birds are laughing at me, but I keep trying. Even with the issues you have already noted, the photo is still a pleasure to view.

Alan Murphy
04-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Hey Sidharth.

I like your self critique.

Nothing wrong with bringing birds in with seed if it works. A tighter crop will give you a less crowded perch effect. Picking a perch with bright yellow flowers can be an exposure challenge. You did well with that. I like the BG and the look back pose.

Your bird is a Chipping Sparrow.

Troy Lim
04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
It is a beautiful shot despite the busy perch, BG compliments it very nicely.

Sidharth Kodikal
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am definitely going to try more set-ups.
Alan, when I grow up I will hopefully get to take one of your workshops :) A big fan of your work!

Danny Laredo
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
This is really lovely and I love that perch.

Daniel Cadieux
04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Overall pretty nice. Perfect head turn for this back view. In a controlled setting such as setups you could try to find a more even BG - not necessarily completely even, but less of a pronounced mottled pattern as what you have here. Still, well done on your first setup attempt!

Sidharth Kodikal
04-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Daniel.
I completely agree about the bg. When the light was good, the background appeared much nicer in my test shots. I will adjust the next time.
I have been in awe of the images you've produced with your set ups.
A little speaker is on my shopping list for the weekend after reading your excellent write up on using audio to attract birds.