PDA

View Full Version : Mulie portrait

Todd Frost
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Roadside 5 point mulie buck. There were 3 bucks with a couple of does right near the road in a not so nice place to stop (very icy hill complete with blind corner) but you got to do what you got to do (read wife not happy). All I had time to do was jump out and make a few images before another vehicle came around corner (or wife goes hoarse letting me know this is a bad idea). I'm exaggerating slightly about my wife, she hates the cols but has come to YNP 2 years in a row in Feb:).
D300, 400 2.8, 1/1250, f4, iso 400, man exp, hh
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Harshad Barve
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
beautiful image Todd , nice compo and fantastic details
TFS

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
This guy looks pretty healthy...isn't this a 12 point buck though?

I'd be tempted to level the antlers. I like the winter habitat, but I wish the log sticking out of the neck wasn't there. I can relate about your wife!:D

Todd Frost
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. Daniel, out here in the west we only count one side of the rack and generally on mulies we don't count eye guards as a point.
Todd

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation! I'm sure most hunters would prefer the "Eastern, Whitetail" way as it sounds more impressive to those who don't know better!:p

Ken Watkins
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Very nice detail, as stated the low lying log is a bit of a nuisance. I would try to get rid of the branch in the upper right corner. My wife encourages me to get out of the car especially when Lion are present;)

Austin Thomas
04-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Well seen Todd,

BKGR distraction apart this is a nice portrait. Good detail in the subject and well exposed.

tfs

Austin

John Rogers
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Todd,

Great shot !... and the plus is he appears to be a fairly young buck. Hope he stays around a long time and spreads those genes.
By the way, I just bought the 400 f 2.8 and shoot a D300 also. I can't wait for this Fall and a chance to shoot some big game...as for now I'm after birds.
John