PDA

View Full Version : Dobrogea and Danube Delta - the photographers' paradise

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides)
Chituc, Dobrogea, Romania l May 2006
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N l EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM l Extender EF 1.4x II

As we started to explore Europe from photographers' perspective let me continue with an extraordinary bird site of an international importance. Dobrogea and the Danube Delta is one of the most spectacular bird area in Europe. It hosts a wide variety of species and habitat types. Coastal lagoons, salt marshes, salinas, hills and forests provide nice opportunity to photograph birds.

Last time I visited the southern part of the delta in May 2006. During the short stay I achieved to photograph some nice species including this small sized heron. Squacco Heron is one of the most beautiful heron species in the world which breeding in nice numbers in the delta.

Here is a Google Map of the area. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=44.772087,28.883057&spn=1.101639,2.477417&t=h&z=9)

Szimi

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
The colors are great and the detail is fantastic,
it comes out of my screen!!!

Fabs Forns
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Tha is one good looking Heron. Thanks for the info, maybe one day....

IvoZafirov
02-28-2008, 07:20 AM
I can do nothing but simply back up Szimi and say that it is fantastic place! I was there three year ago in June and I enjoyed my stay very much. Unfortunately at that time I did not have the photographic equipment I have now and there are no pics from the Delta.

Andrew George
02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Looks like paradise indeed, lovely colors.

Steve Ashton
03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
This is a stunning image very well done. I just want to keep looking at it.

Marko Matesic
03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Wow great capture and thx for info....hope I visit it one day!

Gyorgy Szimuly
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
One of the BPN European outings could be held there. Would be a great fun I guess :D
Szimi

Sven Bernert
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Szimi,

the nearest airport is Constanta (CND), right? Or Bucarest? How do you travel in Romania with that pile of expensive photo gear? Is the area safe? It is only two hours from Bucarest to the coast by car but I'm not sure that I want to drive on my own on rumanian roads.

Sven

Gyorgy Szimuly
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I normally travel from western part of Hungary through Romania by car. Some part of the roads are in really bad conditions but there are huge developments. I am fine with the routing as they are more than beautiful.

Travelled by my car and carried all my equipments. There were no issues during the whole stay. The country is cheap, having nice people. Security issues are not higher than in any other European country means you have to be careful as always. If you are considering to visit Dobrogea feel free to do it from Bucarest with a rent a car. There are not too many places to stay but the number of motels are increasing. Latest experiences are from May 2006.

It is always recommended to check the site conditions prior to traveling as the lakes drying out quickly.

Szimi

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome Sven!!!

Sven Bernert
03-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Hehe Manos, much thanks :)

All: I slowly try to develop the idea of shooting birds at the Romanian cost, since I'm a regular visitor of that country (job wise). I normally fly to Timisoara (to reach Arad) or to Bucarest (to reach the Craiova area (by car :(, thank God we have local drivers)). I'll be there next week (Arad) and will talk to the colleagues, maybe the have more detailed info about the delta area.

I'll come back if I know more.

Sven

Sven Bernert
03-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Ah, and btw.: nice image Szimi :)