PDA

View Full Version : calla lily, miniature

Cheryl Flory
04-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm at 39mm
manual exposure at 2/5", F18. ISO 100

<style></style>
used a white LED with a tiny funnel taped to the end to pin point and illuminate the interior and used a small flashlight in my other hand along with the remote control to light the stem.

whites are not blown, but do they appear too bright?

thanks for looking! comments and critiques are very appreciated!

Stuart Frohm
04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
The image looks great!

Thanks very much for posting this.

Ken Childs
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
The flower does look great with a very nice glow to it. If this were mine, I'd take a slice off the left and add a slice to the top.

Julie Brown
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Lovely detail and texture on the outside, but to my eye the inside does look a bit bright. Does the white inside normally show detail? Great lighting idea!:)

Cheryl Flory
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I see what you mean, Ken. that would improve it.

Julie, the white inside has texture if you look closely. that's all.

Julie Kenward
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Cheryl...this is really beautifully exposed! I feel it would be stronger as a vertical only because of the length and dimensions of the stem/flower but I applaud you going for something not so ordinary.

One trick you might try with the whites at the very base of the petal is to grab the color right above it where it's not quite SO white and then paint over that really white area with the brush tool at about 30% and see what you think. It's not showing a lot of detail on the web but if there's detail in the print then I'd leave it alone.

Again, beautiful lighting! The way the white lines pop is superb!

Cheryl Flory
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
thanks, Julie.
I did do the 30% cloning, and stopped before do any more since I was afraid of making things worse. lol
I went with the angle, thinking a complete vertical would seem more static.

Jerry van Dijk
04-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Very nice Cheryl. Lovely light and exposure. How did you manage to create that bluish spot right behind the flower?

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Cheryl: This image is stunning. I love how the interior illumination brings out the pattern details--just lovely. others have made suggestions which I don't need to repeat. So clever of you to try two flashights.

Cheryl Flory
04-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks, Anita. Clever had nothing to do with it. It was desperation. :D