PDA

View Full Version : D300 problems

Jared Lloyd
02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
So I finally upgraded from my lowly D100 a couple of weeks ago to the D300. However, with only a couple of days use I am already noticing problems with the camera. One is the play back feature. Occasionally (a few times each day) everything would just lock up. Play back button wouldnt work, or it would no longer allow me to scroll. I have to turn the camera off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on.... The other problem that I have found is that exposure is not consistent. One min, everything is dead on, and then all of a sudden, the view finder gets darker and everything becomes underexposed even though there was no change in lighting outside. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jim Poor
02-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Back in the recesses of my mind there is a memory of some sort of lens and camera setting combination that caused a lock up. I can't remember right now, but I'll try to dig it up.

Does this happen with one lens or multiple lenses?

Steve Ashton
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Confused by the View finder getting dark and then the Camera under exposing. My be a silly idea but could this be you are pressing the DOF button Can't think of anything else which would make the finder go dark.

Blake Shadle
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm using a D200 and if I try to do too much or move around too fast in the playback it'll hang up... I just activate my meter by pressing half down on the shutter button (which turns playback off) and go back in after that. I've beat the crud out of my D200 though. I think I made 10,000 images in my first two months with the camera ;)

Have you noticed that the exposure problem happens with a variety of lenses, or just one lens? I borrowed a friends Sigma 50-500 and it had this problem. I would be tracking a BIF and hold the shutter to get 5 frames per second, and I'd notice (after two frames or so) the viewfinder would go almost completely black, and the exposure would be totally messed up. It had something to do with the rear mount contacts in the lens.

I promptly returned his lens and yelled, "give me back my 80-400VR!!!"

Jared Lloyd
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Thus far i have only noticed this problem with one lens. . . however, I have only really used one lense since I got the camera. A sigma 70-200 2.8 with a Sigma 2x TC attatched. It sounds very much like what Blake is describing as well, all though it doesnt go completely black....it just seems drop down a few stops of light. I wonder if there is a conflict specifically with Sigma lenses - as you say this occured on a sigma 50-500. . .

as for the playback hanging up, sometimes I can press the shutter button and everything goes back to normal, other times I have to completely turn off the camera. I dunno.

Hopefully the exposure issue is a lens issue. All though, that creates a number of problems for me as that combo is my only telephoto option at the moment. I'm looking into investing in either a 500mm or a 200-400 in the near future but that is still a few months off.

Blake Shadle
02-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I would say it lost about 3-4 full stops in the viewfinder (pretty dang dark)... Is this a newer 70-200 f/2.8? and a newer 2xTC? The problem I experienced sounds so similar to yours that I'm willing to bet it's the lens. Have you used the D300 much without the 2xTC on the 70-200?

Sabyasachi Patra
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I think your lens might have a older version of software which is creating problems with the camera. I suspect that your camera might be alright. During my film days, when I bought the Canon EOS 30V, I had similar problems with my Sigma 300mm f4 lens. After a lot of testing in the canon service centre, they found out that the lens had a problem communicating with the new version of software in the Canon. That day, I disposed all my non canon lenses...Its been six years and non of my camera bodies and lenses have this kind of problem.

Jared Lloyd
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Im now definately convinced it is the lens that is the problem. After reading everyones posts and checking out a thread on another forum, it seems that Sigma lenses consistently have problems with the new cameras. As it turns out, after the release of the d200, sigma recalled (free of charge) all of their HSM models, which this is, because they were not compatible with the autofocusing system. I think I'm going to take Sabyasachi's route on this, and ditch my sigmas as soon as possible. Well, at least its not the camera!

Jason Vaclavek
02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Double check and make sure you have the current version of firmware installed on the camera. Sigma did offer to fix the HSM series of lenses that where not working properley on the D200 cameras. The problem was that the D200's AF-ON button would not activate the af with the Sigma lenses. Nikon took care of this with a firmware update and the need to send the lens to Sigma was resolved, unless you really wanted to send it in.

Jared Lloyd
02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Considering the 300 was released in November - December, I would assume I have the latest version of the firm ware. I guess what I'm going to do is just sell the Sigma lens along with my D100 and and put that towards a Nikon 300 2.8. Used, what should I expect to pay for one of these lenses?

George DeCamp
02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I will guess at about $2500 - 3000 for a used 300/2.8.

Before you make the decision I would ask Sigma if they rechip the lens you have for the D300. May not be called rechip but they do upgrade them somehow and I think for free as well.

http://www.sigma-photo.com/contact/contact.asp

Good luck!!