PDA

View Full Version : kalahari hyena

peter delaney
04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
nikon d1x 600mm 1.4tc

have been re cataloguing my images to light room ,came across this oldie..

Kiran Khanzode
04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I love this strong portrait ! It's a golden oldie, love how the "fire like" oof grasses frame his face. Only nit would be the eye could be a bit sharper, but that's just my personal nit.

You've just made the Hyena species look regal, kudos !

Todd Frost
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Nice portrait with nice golden light. Agree with Kiran with making the hyena look regal. Nice to have the eye visible through the grass. Well done. TFS
Todd

Alfred Forns
04-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Good looking portrait Peter, great setting and feel Eye wise does not bother me much since it goes with the overall feel of the image. Thought about increasing the blacks just a bit? not enough to affect the mood and increase contrast !!! Excellent image !! ... good luck with LR .. great but start your catalog the right way, tough to change later !!!

Ken Watkins
04-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Peter,

Not to sure about this, but it is undoubtedly interesting and different.

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi Peter, I'm with Ken and the others here, not sure if this is one of your best, sorry.

I like the thinking behind it and the warm golden colours, the expression, focused, alert, sculking but not being sharp is the real issue for me and it appears to have very little contrast within it. I also feel that perhaps increasing the contrast might make it look too 'blocky' and lumpy, but worth a go just to see.

Sorry to sound so negative.;)

TFS
Steve

peter delaney
04-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks Kiran and Todd.. this one was definitley the Queen of the clan.... Eye I did not want to touch as there is some OOF grass going thru it...

Al thanks for comments, i did increase the blacks by +3 ... but you are right , will check the edited version against this one .. might be the converting / uploading process..

I am using Seth Resniks lightroom book and his way of cataloguing for mine...

please tell me if you recommend another ... would hate to get it wrong..

Ken .. you just made me very happy!!!! I will take interesting and different over pretty any day .. so big thanks !!!:)

Sabyasachi Patra
04-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Peter,
I like the colours. With similar camera settings, it is tough to get sharp image of the eye, since you were shooting through the grass and the grass is swaying. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshad Barve
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
I liked image lot , nice light and BG
TFS

Ken Watkins
04-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Ken .. you just made me very happy!!!! I will take interesting and different over pretty any day .. so big thanks !!!:)

Only too happy to please perhaps I should have added moody as well;)

peter delaney
04-07-2010, 05:32 AM
cant help the moodiness in me or my work ... i am irish exile living in a crazy democracy in SA...:D:D Its bound to effect me..

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Should have guessed Peter, with a surname like that :D:D

i am irish exile living in a crazy democracy in SA

I would recommend lying down in a darkened room with a copy of 'Guinness weekly' to ease your 'moodiness'. Keep it coming, it is great for inspiration!!!

Lets see more;)
Steve

Ken Watkins
04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Should have guessed Peter, with a surname like that :D:D

I would recommend lying down in a darkened room with a copy of 'Guinness weekly' to ease your 'moodiness'. Keep it coming, it is great for inspiration!!!

Lets see more;)
Steve

I hope that Peter is as lucky as me, even in our tiny village we have Draught Guiness in a can (both at the pub and bottle store), it needs testing regularly;)

peter delaney
04-08-2010, 03:35 AM
The "drink" is the reason why I am in exile.... only living Irishman who does not drink Guinness and Whiskey... so my punishment was to be exiled in a country where they drink coke with their brandy .. philistines:)

Ajit Huilgol
04-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I don't know why, but I can't see the image!:confused:

Dumay de Boulle
04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Me neither...Not sure why I cant see it...Might be a glitch

Troy Lim
04-09-2010, 09:30 AM
CAn only see the thumbnail on this, looks good.

johan barnard
04-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Nice done, like it, BG is good, colours are spot on;)

detail and mood of picture works for me