PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Arch

Mike Robinson
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I stitched this panorama from 7 different vertical images each of which consisted of three bracketed shots which were then processed in photomatix using exposure fusion.
Canon 5DMark II, gitzo , 24-105 at f22 various exposures.

Dave Mills
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Mike,Your HDR worked well in this situation. Lighting is beautiful and a nice starburst. You also caught a good glow under the rock with no blown detail in the backround. I would not of clipped the top of the mesa...

Kobus Tollig
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Super scene and I really hope I can one day shoot this. You have done super here. I do see some sharpening halos and a pitty you cut the top off but still a great image

Michael Pancier
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Iconic shot. My personal preference is to perhaps include more foreground esp. the front rocks on right.
otherwise, well done.

Roger Clark
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Mike,

You have some nice detail and good depth of field, but i feel the color processing is off, or perhaps it was a very bland sunrise? I suspect it might be the HDR processing How long were you at the site? As the sun rises and illuminates the rock below the arch, that reflected light shines on the arch and the light we see on the bottom of the arch is doubly reflected, creating intense red.

Here is one I did on fuji velvia:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9617&highlight=Mesa

Did you observe that intense red? If so, do any of your individual frames show it? If yes and yes, then perhaps different processing will bring it out.

I do notice the sun is in your frame, which does create extra challenges. You'll notice that I kept the sun
behind the arch. Did you take images at other times too?

Roger

Mike Robinson
04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes Roger, I took hundreds of other images. It was a very bland sunrise with layered cloud cover at the horizon, but still the best I got in three mornings first dense clouds and then rain and snow. I do have some that show intense reds but not when I did the pano. This was my first effort, next time I will have a better idea of how to work. It is also very difficult to move around and get just the correct framing in the brief time due to the large turnout for sunrise as I'm sure you know.

Roger Clark
04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Mike,
OK, that explains it. On really cloudy mornings, I head to other subjects. But it looks like the morning you were there, it could have been a great sunrise. I look at situations like that as an excuse to go back.

I agree about the crowds. Many years ago, I was the only one there on a typical morning. Now, as I posted in my mesa arch image, I got there an hour before sunrise. I chose my spot and by sunrise, can't move. Not as fun anymore. It seems like mesa arch is more crowded than any other spot at sunrise.

Of course now that we've put out the word to get there 60 minutes before sunrise, everyone will do it. So now you need to get there 90 minutes before sunrise. Oops now that word is out, it's 2 hours before sunrise......:eek:

Roger

Robert Amoruso
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Mike,

Edit the thread and upload the image again. The server problems have disrupted the link to it.