PDA

View Full Version : White Daffodil

Julie Kenward
04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I created this image over the weekend but just now got around to processing it. I used my 100mm macro lens and a 20mm extention tube to get this view. I'm not sure I love where the stamen/pistil ended up but the point was to get that ruffled edge along the cup to pop out so I'm happy with that part of it.

I used "sharpen edges" to leave the daffodil soft but pop that ruffle...something I don't often use.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tube
f8 @ 1/125th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld (elbows on the table)
Outside light under a shade tree.
Processed in ACR & CS4; used the "white neutralizer" filter in Nik Color Efex to balance the WB.

Ken Childs
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Jules, I like the comp but that white edge in front seems almost too white. It looks blown but maybe it's just the contrast between it and the yellow and the other BG colors but I feel like I need my sunglasses. :)

I also agree about the position of the stamen/pistil. Have you tried cloning over that dark area?

Julie Kenward
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Ken, I went back in and double checked the whites and they definitely aren't blown - I wonder if it's because I neutralized the whites that they just appear REALLY white?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "cloning over the dark area"? Are you talking about the stamen?

Ken Childs
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Ken, I went back in and double checked the whites and they definitely aren't blown - I wonder if it's because I neutralized the whites that they just appear REALLY white?
That's why I put that "maybe" in my statement. I know you're usually careful about such things. :)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "cloning over the dark area"? Are you talking about the stamen? Yes. I don't think you can tell exactly what you're looking at so if it were cloned away, it may not be missed. Or maybe painting over it with a slightly darker yellow would leave something to focus on.

Or maybe leave it as is. :) I'm curious to hear what others think.

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
I think you succeeded in what you were trying to do. What I would like to see is the lower half of the image as a closer macro, without the stamen.