View Full Version : Black Backed Kingfisher

kenniepan
04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi, my first post here.

Share with u guys a shots.

Singapore.

Video of flapping here
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=190270011598

1/3th, F8, Iso 200, No Remote , did not buy it last year yet for camere, used Self timer, MLU 3 shots each press. no flash, never use flash in available light.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/knpan/DSC_0067.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Alma K Bailey
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Welcome and nice to meet you.

A stunning capture, with such such color on such a small bird, I like the branch and the little nails on its feet. I don't believe I have ever seen kingfisher, but I am looking forward to seeing one as they are beautiful indeed.

Daniel Cadieux
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
First off, welcome to BPN!!

Cute fella, and I like the tiny orange feet. Beautiful colours, and sharpness looks good as posted, especially from the SS indicated. Two main concerns here would be the HA (head angle) looking away, and the light OOF branch running behind the face. You say you don't use flash in available light, but from the exif you posted it doesn't look like there was much available!;) In any case, don't be afraid to raise the ISO and open up your lens aperture.

Looking forward to more from you!:)

Doug Brown
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome to BPN! Excellent points by Daniel. 1/3 second is tough to get consistently good images with. Open up and push your ISO to get more SS.

Gary Esman
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome! Great colors on this guy. Nice sharp eye. Agree with comments above. Looking forward to seeing more, none of these little guys in Michigan!

Jeff Cashdollar
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome, agree with tech suggestions. More ISO and a wider aperture would hep the shutter speed, beneficial even on tripod. It would also help reduce back ground clutter too. Nice eye and beautiful species, looking forward to seeing more.

kenniepan
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the comments mates ! Sadly this is the only sharp shot when i had the little time with this rare kingfisher in my country. There was some with direct parallel eye contact, but those were blur. Yea i was crazy to shoot a Low ISOs in such a lighting situation haha . It was under thick forest canopy. Hmm yes i dont use flash in available light even in this dark condition, i tried 1 small 1/128th power flash at the end of the session and what i suspected, this fella flew off ! Real forest, that is why it is so afraid of the lbright sudden light.

BTW, is this the only place to post Avian/wildlife images, in the critique section? I cant seem to find anywhere else.

Troy Lim
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Kennie,,

Next time I am back home, we need to go shoot together. ;)
KF is SEA is so colorful.

kenniepan
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Troy,

No problem, u are based in Msia right ? U can pm me when u are coming to sg.

cheers

Troy Lim
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Troy,

No problem, u are based in Msia right ? U can pm me when u are coming to sg.

cheers

I live in Florida now, but I grew up in Borneo. Everytime I go home, I always spend a week or longer in Singapore.