Cheryl Flory
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm at 50mm
1/60"
F3.5
manual exposure
ISO 800

shot in the store under fluorescent lights, no tripod.
How do you get a flattering image of a flower that is just a solid "lump"???

denise ippolito
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I was thinking if you started w/ a comp. more like this. It's a basic comp. and will get you started in the right direction. Hope it helps.:) I was on my laptop and I don't have layers so this is a hack job- but I wanted to show you the comp.

Cheryl Flory
04-06-2010, 06:03 AM
thanks, Denise.

Julie Kenward
04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Yes, Cheryl, lump flowers are a challenge! I think Denise gave you an excellent suggestion. You might also try standing directly above or underneath and at an angle and see what you think. Looks like Denise did a little sharpening, too - I think that also helps!

Roman Kurywczak
04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi Cheryl,
Denise definitely nailed it compositionally.....and I will offer one more thing to try.....since you hand held not sure if possible......but trying even the pop up flash....powered down.....to see if it can add just a hint more depth to the darker area....although a smalll flashlight just in the center would have probably been best! Where's that 3rd hand when you need it:D!

Cheryl Flory
04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Julie, oops, went from too much sharpening to too little. lol. this is challenging! (translation: good reason to keep photographing. :D)

Roman, OH, never thought of a small flashlight!
will have to make a trip back. will prob be able to get a third hand to go along. and also found out the most likely time to be able to *try* getting a tripod in and around. this is a florist warehouse, so narrow aisle, and flowers are packaged and bundled.